Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant

Article about: I am rather curious on the replies this M-1 c variant will receive..It was listed as a buy it now on Ebay and it is imo an interesting helmet and liner system so I just pressed the button an

?

Default Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant

I am rather curious on the replies this M1-C variant will receive it was listed as a buy it now on Ebay and it is imo an interesting helmet and liner system so I just pressed the button and paid the man...
    The description was short and sweet and the seller had it listed as a ( Spanish Paratrooper Helmet-Spanish M65 ? ) I have spent some time in the past researching these helmet systems having a couple of examples of the Espanol M1 Paracaidista and a couple of Spanish M65's in my collection already so did not recognize the liner system...
    I went back to check Joceba Revuelta's website ( Helmets of the 20th Century ) where he covers these quite extensively there is no information and or even an honorable mention that this particular variation was ever used by Spain..
    I have contacted a few friends and fellow collectors already to rattle a couple of ideals around in their heads as I have a few thoughts myself as to the country of origins one of which is a Argentinian M-2 as used IMARA so was just looking for some other opinions a bit of pre inhand research as it where till it arrives in the post...
    Gents these are the only two images I have until it gets delivered some time next week so not a lot to go on I'm afraid..

Kind Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant   Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant  

The liner nor helmet are US, not sure of the country of origin. Cool set!!

Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 08-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Looks good. Liner I’m not familiar with, but shell looks like a U.SCH. That’s my best bet, but could be a VDN, on account of the sharp bend on the loop rings (where the bails attach). If you can’t identify when it comes, try putting a magnet on it. If is is slightly magnetic it’s a vdn shell.

I almost overlooked this as I have little knowledge of US helmets. However I can say definately that the liner is Spanish, and the shell is likely to be US. Spain received a quantity of shells from the US in the 1950s (scrap? aid? who knows...) and they were refitted with the locally-made liner for use with paratroop units. As far as I understand it they were still in use up to the 1970s. The same liners were also used with the Spanish-made M65 shell later.

Spain has an interesting - quite exciting really (I am quite the fan) - collection of M1-types, using either original US shells ot the locally-made ones - local Spanish shells are easily distinguished by having no applied rim, and usually just one coat of paint over the bare shiny metal. Flaking paint is another distinguishing sign. If you can get the liner out - which is not always easy - you may find a bewildering array of old and new retaining rivets for the cradle. Try not to break the liner - the plastic is often very brittle

For more and better information may I remind everyone of Joseba's website - see ESPAÑA

?

Thank for chiming in Greg once it arrives I will be able to investigate it further if it is a early variation of the Espanol M1 Paracaidista I could not find it and or a comparable example...
    That is of course unless it is a undocumented early variation ( I could gain no clues when doing research and or is it listed on ( Joceba Revuelta's sight Helmets of the 20th Century that I could find ) I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction for further research and or show a comparable example...
    After exhausting this avenue my thoughts were possibly a very early French and or Argentinian re-fitted example so I ran it by a few friends a couple being experts on the Argentinian M-1 helmet system and another on the M1 all have drawn the same conclusion that it is likely Argentinian in nature. The only 100% readily identifiable feature is the webbing used for the crudely made 'A' straps used by the IMARA and is said to have the correct roller buckles and the shell appears to be an FM example which is presumed to have no heat stamp! it does have the distinctive round spot welds at the rear seam and I can't quite make out but also around the rim.
    An M-2 is an unusual thing even for later examples, My one friend has got at least 2 re-used US liners that have the female part of the press stud but does not appear to have been used.
    The height is right and has the FM painted finish with sand. Parts of the liner also appear to have been painted green inside which is an IMARA trait.
    The nape strap is an unusual one, usually just a straight piece of thick green webbing, but the press studs are like most IMARA helmets, not stainless and rusted together.
    This M1 has lots of unusual features, it is his honest opinion it is an Argentine Infanteria de Marina helmet with the M-2 chinstraps being a much later addition...
    It will be interesting to see how it all works out regardless of what it turns out to be I can say I am properly ecstatic to add it to my collection with I shall post better images and keep you informed once it arrives..

Regards Mark K

Mark - unless I am missing something that isn't evident on the photos, I am really sure this is a Spanish used US shell with indigenous Spanish liner. I have one almost identical except that part of the liner is missing, disintegrated through ill-use or storage - though not well-made in the first place. Another common tell is the coloured blotch under the fore-rim - common on Spanish para helmets of this type and denoting section/platoon/company (I dunno, one or the other!). I don't believe for a moment it is Argentine. Unless the Argentines bought liners from Spain and no-one has noticed before. Argentine liners are essentially the same as the US product - this liner is distinctly Spanish.

I must also say that this is now a comparatively uncommon helmet/liner combo, and yours appears to be in better than average condition. A good buy, and I am somewhat envious.

?

Greg as always thank you for your opinion and I can promise you if it is as you said a Spanish re-fitted US helmet for there Airborne forces as Opposed to an Argentinian M-2 as I have one in my collection already I will be quite properly ecstatic as it is a variation that I did not know existed...
    The possibility was pointed out to me by a few other collectors but no one could point me in the right direction as it were for further research..
    I could not find another example to compare it to and or information that would substantiate that these variations even existed and or were used by Spain so this lead me searching down different paths for an explanation to its existence and Country of Origins...
    To me it is a very appealing helmet as it shows a good amount of usage and has a great patina and was something I had not seen before..

Regards Mark K

The shell is not from US production. It has the shape of the improved Belgian Mle 1951 and should be a specimen of this Belgian-Us Euro clone.

The narrower rim made of stainless steel is more typically Euro production.

In terms of the special features, I would also say that it is a product from Ulbricht Witwe GmbH from Austria.
    Otherwise, only Quist Esslingen with similar characteristics could be considered.

One thing I'm reminded of by Sleepwalker's response (and you have a better eye than I do - I have an interest in M1 Euroclones but am quite unable to detect the differences without them being actually in-hand) is that we (I, anyway!) are making a possibly foolish assumption that the shell and liner are a true pair. It could well be they have no essential relationship.

?

Thank you for all that have taken the time to chime in, Greg in regards to the liner and helmet body I digress to your knowledge on the subject it becomes clear to me now that I have it in hand and have compared it to other examples in my collection that both liner and helmet body are indeed Spanish in nature...
    I am still perplexed though as to why there is no documentation and or reference to this variation at all were there only a limited number of examples like these produced and or modified, I spent a good deal of time researching the subject as far as I can tell they are undocumented..
    So now to the next question at hand are the liners and modifications to the chinstrap assemblies on the helmet bodies an official variation of the Espanol M1 Paracaidista and or are these to be considered depot and or rigger modified, and when would this variation have been adopted for use so many unanswered questions at this point still...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant   Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant  

Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant   Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant  

Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant   Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant  

Looking for some opinions on a odd M1-C variant  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast