Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M1917a1

Article about: , A couple of years ago I obtained a "Kelly" helmet (marked 15B) named to two persons: Fred D.Minor, Co.E and J.Smalhout. I actually was intriged by the Dutch name; Smalhout. Thank

Default M1917a1

M1917a1M1917a1,

A couple of years ago I obtained a "Kelly" helmet (marked 15B) named to two persons: Fred D.Minor, Co.E and J.Smalhout.

I actually was intriged by the Dutch name; Smalhout.

Thanks to this forum I found the names of both former owners. No known units unfortunately, but enough information to satisfy my curiosity!

I always wondered why these helmets are called: Kelly helmets? Does anyone know what the correct position of the top cushion should be? The configuration I have seems rather uncomfortable!

Cheers,
    Emile

?

Nice looking helmet, some of them actually have a small circular center pad that should be in the top of the shell

MAP
    ?

I do not know why the got the Kelly nickname. Interesting question though.

As far as the pad. They were made both ways, some with the pad under and some over the tongues. Over the tongues was apparently much more common. So both are technically correct.

Nice example. Remember the days when these were dirt cheap. I had one as a kid, came back from college and it was "gone". Think my nephews took it. Just replaced it a few years back and cost a whole lot more $$$$.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The soldiers probably installed the pad to the most comfortable position of the wearer, there is no correct way, whichever fits best

the metal band inside is also adjustable

the M1917A1 steel helmet has always been hard to find , I dont remember ever seeing any in surplus stores, they were not as common

the leather liners are usually dry rotted when you find them.

?

Very nice helmet!
    I personally love m1917a1s, I have one in my possession and it is one of my favorite helmets in my collection.