Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!

Article about: Acquired this M1C ( I believe it's classified as a C, if not please correct me) Airborne helmet many years ago. Please help me with understanding more about what it is. Purpose of posting is

Default M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!

Acquired this M1C ( I believe it's classified as a C, if not please correct me) Airborne helmet many years ago. Please help me with understanding more about what it is.

Purpose of posting is to better understand what it is and why the black primer shell with a long ago worn white band around it's circumference.

While the webbing stamp info is hard to read, it is marked 1945. The rear most band that is snapped into the liners sweat band is marked Handy co and it's purpose is to reduce the size to small.

Can anyone please advise about the black and white primed liner and if you can add anything to what this is, it would be gratefully appreciated. Am wondering about the shell heat stamp number and how that correlates to year of manufacture and by who.

Thank you in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!   M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!   M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!   M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

Default Addition to webbing with inked info

I know it's hard to read. Can anyone please make out what the stamp says? I can make out that's its dated 1945, I would presume year of manufacture. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

As I said prior, I love to do research on artifacts and images. I found this chart for the M1C helmet shell production time period. Good info or bad info? According to the chart the shell was produced approximately March of 1944.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

M1-C production didn't start until January 1945. There are legit front-seam M1-C helmets, but a stainless rim and lot number in the 800s suggest that this is a standard M1 with M1-C straps added later. Photos of the chinstrap stitching would be instructive.

The liner webbing is marked as being made by Gem Dandy Incorporated, I can't read the contract clearly but with the 1945 date it is very late war (too late for ETO).

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The liner webbing is marked as being made by Gem Dandy Incorporated, I can't read the contract clearly but with the 1945 date it is very late war (too late for ETO).

Thank you for your replies aef1917 & BlackCat1982.

When I obtained this I was advised it was a USMC issued helmet and liner.

Researching last night I found a painted liner, black with the white stripe and the description was USMC MP liner. However in that description was it was Viet Nam era.

That prompted me to wonder about when the black liner with the white band was first used.

Default Helmet shell chinstrap

As asked to post, here are the images of the shell chin strap. Thank you for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!   M1C Airborne Helmet, please help me understand more about it! Thank You in Advance!  

Default Helmet Liner Web Chin Straps and Chin Cup

Here are images of the helmet liner web chin straps and chin cup. Thank you for your help!