Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M26 Adrian

Article about: Hi all, I recently picked up this M26 at a local show to hopefully have a war time example of this helmet, though I can't find much online when it comes to date of manufacture. I took the li

Default M26 Adrian

Hi all,

I recently picked up this M26 at a local show to hopefully have a war time example of this helmet, though I can't find much online when it comes to date of manufacture. I took the liner out and saw a round stamp which may have a year on it, but I can't make anything out accurately might say "1945". I have read some manufacturers would place stamps on the inside which there is one faint "C" stamped on the dome.

Can't wait to find an infantry badge for this one and put it on the shelf as it will replace my post war reworked police helmet which is not in great shape. Would greatly appreciate any information and thank you for reading!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M26 Adrian   M26 Adrian  

M26 Adrian   M26 Adrian  

M26 Adrian   M26 Adrian  

M26 Adrian   M26 Adrian  

M26 Adrian   M26 Adrian  

Maybe this may help concerning the ink stamps in the dome of the M26 helmet..
    Translation :
    The production of M26 helmets will continue to be produced under the Vichy regime fort he civil defence. Between the beginning of production of M26 helmets in 1926 and the end of the war 3,6 milion helmets will be produced. This is a low number in comparison with the 20 million M15 hemets produced in 4 years.
    8 manufacturers will produce this helmets of which 4 in the region of Paris. Only manufacturer ‘Japy’ was also producing M15 helmets earlier.
    - Ducellier
    - J. Dunois et fils (Vincennes)
    - Franck (Aubervilliers)
    - Thibault (Montreuil)
    - Carpentier (Cusset)
    - Luchaire (Messei)
    - La Manufacture des Métaux Ouvrés (Marseille)
    Every manufacturer will stamp in the inside of the shell with ink his name completely or in initiales.
    3 of them (Luchaire, Ducellier et MMO) will mention the year of production and the size of the shell (A, B or C)
    According to this magazine, the size of the shell corresponds to the sizes of the liner in this way :
    B = 54,55,56
    C = 57,58,59
    D = 60,61,62
    So if the size of the liner is 60, it should correspond to a D sized shell
    A soldier that needed a adrian helmet chooses first his liner and after that the corresponding shell. Shells and liners had different manufacturers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M26 Adrian   M26 Adrian  

M26 Adrian  

here a liner of the same manufacturer as yours produced in 1928
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M26 Adrian  

MAP
    ?

I remember you looking at this helmet. But didn't remember you purchasing it....I'm getting old! LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I remember you looking at this helmet. But didn't remember you purchasing it....I'm getting old! LoL
    Haha It was pretty quick negotiation then it was put in a bag and didn't come back out for the rest of the show.