Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape

Article about: Ciao This is my MK6 helmet, Shell is a early production smooth-finish of 1984 form National Plastic with name and service number of first owner. Cover in desert dpm of a early '90 contract,

Default Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape

Ciao

This is my MK6 helmet,

Shell is a early production smooth-finish of 1984 form National Plastic with name and service number of first owner.

Cover in desert dpm of a early '90 contract, with name/service number/ blood type and 6 square of glint tape in side/back and top.

I think this helmet can be isert in Operation Granby (Gulf War) time frame.

I have 2 question:

- do you know if is possibile to identify the unit by service number?

- this huge use of glint tape is a common procedure or can be connected ti some specific branch? RAF/Navy for visibility - Para or commando for fast identification

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape   Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape  

Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape   Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape  

More pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape   Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape  

MAP
    ?

Nice looking helmet. Interesting to see he listed his blood type. But given that it is a rare type, I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Sorry, but can't help on your questions. Not an area I collect
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for your appreciation and comment.

Any other idea? Thanks

?

Hi,that's a nice early shell, but personally don't think the helmet and cover are related. ( different names)
    We put our 'last 3' , name and blood group on our helmets, in red pen.
    I don't know if red was official or not, but we were told black was a nono.
    Zap numbers are quite modern, and we hadn't heard of flint tape lol

Quote by Bendy View Post
    Hi,that's a nice early shell, but personally don't think the helmet and cover are related. ( different names)
    We put our 'last 3' , name and blood group on our helmets, in red pen.
    I don't know if red was official or not, but we were told black was a nono.
    Zap numbers are quite modern, and we hadn't heard of flint tape lol
    I agree that this looks "put together".

"Zap numbers" have been around for a long time (Falklands at least) but initially there was no official format and they tended to differ between units. However, the now official format used since before Op Granby (1st Gulf, is first two letters of last name followed by last four digits of service number and blood group, again early in the practice some departure from this is not unknown such as just using the last three digits as Bendy says) .

Also, as I recall glint tape was not issued until much later although I suppose if it was on the market at that time (don't think it was) it is possible that it was privately purchased though this does look like the official issue tape which by the way is not self adhesive.

Also, as Bendy says black is not very discrete on a light coloured camouflage and stands out at some distance (especially in a night vision optic) which is why it was not approved of. I certainly doubt this would be seen in a front line unit anyway and it certainly does not look like it was worn "in the sand". The wear line is also in the wrong place ie above rather than on the rim of the helmet suggesting it once lived on a smaller helmet.

However, this is not an "exact science" with hard and fast answers..Is there any provenance?

If not I would be inclined to swap the cover for one less "odd" looking.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-01-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunatly i've no info about provenance, just purchased from a collector. The cover is a bit out of line for my fault when i was doing the photo.

I've seen some photo of british forces that use black on desert , so i will not exclude the use of this color in front line, different story is for the tape. Till uknown the use for me...i'll try to do a macro

Example:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk IV Helmet - desert DPM with IR tape  

?

Yep, I've seen many a photo of black in use too. I just think the cover isn't from Granby. There is a good thread on mk6 covers on here, that can date a cover by its label....... Might be worth finding!
    The lid is in great condition.
    Having a wonky cover on was was very common and I saw just a few put on back to front........... Hugely annoyed the OCD in me lol.
    I can only comment on my unit at the time and what we were allowed to do (or not)
    In the various postings I had kit had to be worn differently, even down to the way your boots were laced, so can't comment on other units.
    I have a thing about mk6s..........I have about 20 ( much to the horror of my missus)