Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Mk1*

Article about: A bit battered & bruised, but this Mk1* looks to be an early one. Rimless, Mk1 liner dated 1937 & made by HELMETS Ltd, being the first year they made Mk1 liners. Mk1 chin strap lugs

?

According to MC, the above is a definition of a Mk2.
    Helmet date will be on the chin strap lugs, making them Mk2 lugs, which would make it a Mk2 helmet.

?

During 1937, the war office decided that since it was desirable for the steel helmet to be totally non magnetic, Mk1 helmets when being refurbished should be fitted with a stainless steel rim in addition to the stainless steel chin strap securing lugs. As a consequence, it was decided that helmets fabricated from the following components should be designated Helmet, steel,Mk2. Mk1 helmet body with stainless steel rim,Mk2 chin strap,Mk2 chin strap securing lugs,Mk1 lining, and Mk1 lining securing bolt.

An helmet, steel, Mk2.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*   Mk1*  

SMP
    ?

Hmm.... but as collectors we need to be able to distinguish between these early MKIIs ( as above ) and what I call "real" MKIIs, - i.e., helmets made with shells after 1938 . I am willing to pay much more for an early MKII with a WW1 shell- and am also happy to still call them MKI*s ( or MKI*/MKII hybrids !)

p.s Wanna sell me the helmet above ?

I fear we may be drifting into the ol’ “MkV” territory here where we debate whether there actually officially was one.......whilst a unique helmet/liner combo sits there as the debate goes on.....

IF the helmet one likes exists but doesn’t appear to have an official name I’d suggest you allocate it one (but NOT M76!) which best describes it....”MkI*/MkII hybrid” doesn’t exactly flow off the tongue but it does the job.....and it’s a lot shorter than what the other lot would come up with (e.g. Oldstalhelmmitsumnewbitson...or similar).....or how about “Enid”?......I had an Aunt Enid once........

?

Well, technically it's an Mk2 if it has an stainless steel rim and Mk2 chin strap lugs.
    But yes, as I said previously, it will get techincal, so just call them what we have been calling them, Mk1*.
    Any ww1 helmet that has been refurbished for ww2 use, is something a bit special.

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Well, technically it's an Mk2 if it has an stainless steel rim and Mk2 chin strap lugs.
    But yes, as I said previously, it will get techincal, so just call them what we have been calling them, Mk1*.
    Any ww1 helmet that has been refurbished for ww2 use, is something a bit special.
    We could call them Enids after Ade's aunt .

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Now we are going to get technical, but you are right.
    Helmet, Steel, Mk2 = Mk1 helmet body with stainless rim. Mk2 chin strap, Mk2 chin strap lugs, Mk1 lining, and Mk1 lining securing bolt.
    The rest will be an Mk1*.
    We have just halved our Mk1* collection.
    where is this technical description from?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

And where does this leave mine with mkIII lugs?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Up the river without an paddle.

Mk2, as it has an stainless steel rim, the Mk3 chin strap lugs which are quite hard to find on these, would be from early 1939.

Production of the Mk2 helmet was September 1938, (armed forces not getting any supplies of the Mk2 until early 1939) The Mk1* having a run from sometime in 1937- late 1938 or early 39 when production of the stainless steel rim for use on the Mk2 helmet began.
    So guessing Mk1 helmets with an stainless steel rim and Mk2 chin strap lugs were so called an Mk2 helmet, from start of production date of the Mk2 helmet, late 38-early 39.
    Information supplied by Marcus Cotton in the Militaria magazines from the mid 90's.

This one is an inbetweener, Mk2 chin strap lugs and chin strap, who's production date would be early 1938.
    But has the original steel rim, so an Mk1*. They should also be stamped with an white M inside to donate that the rim is magnetic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk1*   Mk1*  

and where did Marcus get the info from?

And lets be honest, most people will call a refurbed MKI for WWII use a MKI* regardless of lugs or rim trim.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast