Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mk2 British helmet camouflage paint

Article about: British MKII camouflage paint, E stencil to the front possible Electricity Board helmet, but not sure where the camo fits in. Camo paint is old paint wear looks correct and age to the paint

?

Default Mk2 British helmet camouflage paint

British MKII camouflage paint, E stencil to the front possible Electricity Board helmet, but not sure where the camo fits in. Camo paint is old paint wear looks correct and age to the paint looks good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint   Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint  

Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint   Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint  

?

The only info I have on it is , the guy I got it from was given by his uncle 45years ago. His uncle worked on a US airbase in Norfolk after the war. He didn’t know what the E stood for or if his uncle got it from the base .

Can’t comment re the camo...although I have a view.......

“E” during the war was either Engineer or Electrical depending on where you were.....it’s a coincidence that the camo paint steers clear of the E presumably??

?

The E must have been painted first as the green goes over the white on the bottom of the E.

Well, at the risk of being "shot down in flames" by helmet experts who have a score of original pieces, I am going to say that the light green patches are later additions and not related to the service use of this lid.

My reasoning is that;

1. Camouflage paint schemes usually follow a specification even whilst trying to appear random. This is truly random but disproportionate and seems to me more likely to highlight the helmet rather than obscure its' appearance. The lines are childish (could be a telling factor) and unnatural.

2. The paint used would usually be a shade of apprpriate service colour such as brown, black or a contrasting green.

3. The paint used would usually be a matt, semi matt or eggshell finish. After all shine is one of the factors affecting camouflage (along with shape, shadow and silhouette. Sound and movement too but they are not relevant here).

This applied pattern is in a shade that is surely not military (for field use anyway but sometimes seen in barracks and on lockers or woodwork etc) and seems glossy. Really not suitable for any kind of camouflage and more like period domestic paint.

My feeling is that we see a nice period "olive" green helmet with an unfortunate later and non service (albeit old now) green pattern applied by a non military hand. Which in my mind ruins a perfectly good MkII. I think I might look at stripping the nasty light green away.

Just my opinion and I await the howls of disapproval!

Refards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Many thanks watchdog for the the constructive answer that is a valid opinion. I’m reluctant to remove the green just in case it is period. Just little things like the green being in the slot of the screw then the rest worn away on the head, showing signs of use after the helmet was painted and good general wear all over post paint job.

I have to agree with Watchdog on the green paint. It looks too glossy and has the appearance of modern paint rather than 70 plus year old. And the colour itself looks too light to be period. I agree the E stencil is original and that the camp has sadly, albeit perhaps temporarily marred a nice helmet.

40 years ago Norwegian ‘42s were being Nazi’d (if that’s a verb?) and the rarest of home Fronters were greened-up and sold as military.......40 years isn’t 70.....but it’s still getting on. I’m still a tad confused at what I see as a military (ish) paint finish with a Civil letter

The most important thing is whether the owner is happy.......he is.

?

I’m happy with the helmet, in hand the paint is certainly not new , but how old I don’t know but shows use as is. The green looks different in hand I’ve added a picture from more natural light without flash. I also think if you were to fake a camo whey not remove the E. To me it’s an interesting lid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint   Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint  

Mk2 British helmet  camouflage paint  

I think Watchdog (Mark) has it pretty well summed up!..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast