Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help please

Article about: Good evening all, I have recently purchased what I think is a Mk2 HSRAC helmet. It has a BMB liner marked 1945, 11 and a V. The helmet itself seems to be in good condition as is finished in

Default Mk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help please

Mk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseGood evening all,
    I have recently purchased what I think is a Mk2 HSRAC helmet. It has a BMB liner marked 1945, 11 and a V. The helmet itself seems to be in good condition as is finished in a green textured paint, and covered in scrim (I think this is a later addition to the helmet). It has a quick release elasticated chin strap but unfortunately I can’t find a date stamp.
    Painted on the right side of the helmet is a brighter green/blue shield, but no numbers etc. Inside the helmet is what I think could be a stock number, which is CN-B415-99-973-6900. Lastly inside the helmet is a faded broad arrow and 3 numbers which are difficult to read but might say 462.

I wonder if anybody here knows if the stock number means it’s Canadian, and what the unit insignia is? I’m struggling to find anything so hopefully someone much more knowledgable than me can assist!

Thanks all,

JubbaMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help please

?

Would the stock number be the Nato number?
    Looks to still have its original dark brown wartime paint.

Thanks Tinlid, I did think that could be one. I found that the -99- part signifies the UK but a search on the whole number doesn’t come up with anything. Maybe the ‘CN’ suffix doesn’t mean Canada afterall. Anybody have an idea on the unit insignia? Thanks again, Jubba

?

Jubba, I have a BMB Mk2 helmet with the Lift-The-Dot stud like yours but mine came without a liner. Stamped inside the helmet at the front is BMB Mk 2 with the date stamped below that. It's pretty faint, but I believe it is 1963. You might check your helmet for similar markings.

Would you mind posting photos of your liner? I would like to find a liner correct for the helmet.

Quote by Jubbagash View Post
    Thanks Tinlid, I did think that could be one. I found that the -99- part signifies the UK but a search on the whole number doesn’t come up with anything. Maybe the ‘CN’ suffix doesn’t mean Canada afterall. Anybody have an idea on the unit insignia? Thanks again, Jubba
    You are correct that the number is a NATO Stock Number (NSN) which in itself dates to well after the war. You are also correct that the 99 relates to UK items. The CN refers to the section of the COSA (Catalogue of Stores and Equipment) and is one of the sections containing war fighting "green" or combat related kit. These helmets albeit with the later "sock" type liner were used right up to the introduction of the Mk6 combat helmet and arm of service equivalents. The net is not a helmet net per se but is a piece of face veil which in the plain green is still used today.
    The paint on the exterior looks to me like it might be ordnance applied NATO IRR (Infra Red Reflecting) green so my guess is a later used helmet shell with an early liner.

Still a nice interesting lid.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark, that’s really helpful. Interesting how old and new is used to create a single bit of kit! Any thoughts on value?

Here are some more photos of the liner as requested, sadly I can’t find any date marked into the helmet, and I don’t want to wreck the liner by trying to get it out.

Thanks all!Mk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help pleaseMk2 HSRAC Helmet identification help please

I think it is important to note that the NSN system came into use in UK around the mid 1970's but didn't appear on labels, stencils etc until much later. When I joined in 1975 most clothing for example still bore the earlier NATO sizes 1,2,3 etc.

The fact that this helmet has a stencilled number and what looks like factory applied paint might mean that it was a factory refurb or more likely late manufacture. Either way given the NSN stencill I think unlikely that the wartime liner belongs to it. I'm not going to say that is a 100% certainty because liners and shells have always been issued and maintained seperately in the British system until the arrival of the Mk6 and I have seen some really odd things turn up in unit stores over the years. I just think that "officially" it should have the "sock" type liner.

As for value we just don't do that here. It isn't to be peevish but it takes away the chance to use the forum just as a free valuation service and to an extent takes away to possibility of anyone getting annoyed when an opinion voiced in what is very much a subjective issue does not meet their expectation.

If you research the web you will find plenty of dealer info. Just bear in mind that this probably a hybrid so it won't be precise but it does have value as a collectible. The trick is to describe it properly.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Watchdog, again very helpful and thank you for setting me straight on the pricing, I completely understand and apologies. Thanks to all!