Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

MKII Helmet Camo.

Article about: Hi All. Any thoughts on this recent pick up? A MKII Helmet, factory finished in black so possibly originally intended as a Wardens Helmet? Complete with what I’d say is it’s original chi

Default MKII Helmet Camo.

MKII Helmet Camo.MKII Helmet Camo.MKII Helmet Camo.MKII Helmet Camo.MKII Helmet Camo.

Hi All.
    Any thoughts on this recent pick up?
    A MKII Helmet, factory finished in black so possibly originally intended as a Wardens Helmet? Complete with what I’d say is it’s original chin strap and 1940 dated liner.
    Helmet also dates 1940.
    My question is, has this helmet been painted in a somewhat naive camo post war?
    Say for a child to pay with?…. or was it applied during the war for another purpose.
    The paint , although painted on with a brush, is reasonably well done and has something of charm to it. It certainly looks old.
    Any help or theories would be greatly appreciated.

I've given up trying to figure out camo'd Mk2s - there are folk here better than me who'll help you there. The camo paint does however appear to go over some of the rim chips which to me might suggest it was black for a while before the camo was applied...and then it was given some stick either in use, or "professionally". As I usually say, I'd avoid linking the strap and liner with the shell - these can be (and are...and WERE) switched easily - but in todays market a good liner is worth c£35+ and the strap another tenner+. The shell will almost always be wartime. With a black interior I'd be looking for evidence of underlying CD markings.....but that's just me. Let's see what the experts say.....

Many Thanks for that.
    I have studied the helmet under the camo and can’t see any CD markings or logo but I’m certain it’s a CD overpaint.

Looking at the liner and chin strap in hand all looks period, unmolested, and original to me.
    That , and I don’t mind admitting, I purchased this off of a close friend who bought it from a car boot.
    I paid him for the helmet and gave him ‘a drink’ and the whole thing was £50!

The strap looks like a recent add on to me, just too fresh. The liner is original, but as Composite says there's no easy way to say when it was camouflaged. Hang it in a damp shed for a few years and it looks like this.

I’m going to have to disagree regarding the chinstrap. Perhaps the photo has presented it looking bright.
    I’m not questioning the helmet, liner or chinstrap. Those I’m certain are all original to one another, the thread was more guided towards the camo pattern. To see if it’s a one off or if anyone recognised the pattern.
    I think it’s post war but again I don’t think it was added to fool or fake.

Quote by fragilefox View Post
    I’m going to have to disagree regarding the chinstrap. Perhaps the photo has presented it looking bright.
    I’m not questioning the helmet, liner or chinstrap. Those I’m certain are all original to one another, the thread was more guided towards the camo pattern. To see if it’s a one off or if anyone recognised the pattern.
    I think it’s post war but again I don’t think it was added to fool or fake.
    Can only go on what I can see. To my eyes the strap looks almost brand new. You are obviously in a better position to see.