Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 47 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

it's very true...'even patented it....1939.....

..this is all starting to sound like a clip from "would I lie to you?" or Call my Bluff :-)

SMP
    ?

Quote by Composite View Post
    it's very true...'even patented it....1939.....

..this is all starting to sound like a clip from "would I lie to you?" or Call my Bluff :-)
    Hmm.......... BLUFF !

I kid you not...... we should be grateful to Messrs Oswin and Ormerod for this fine idea.....

Now, 'ere's another one....I like these chunky lettered ones (that's a technical term...'hope I haven't lost you).....'not sure who'd've used this one but it might have been a District Officer Controller Transport Official Reserve...I might be wrong there.....

'pretty straightforward tho black quack lids aren't overly common.....

Re all the usual pics...there's a liner (dated '38), unclear shell dates, a strap yada yada blah blah and it's only painted on the front.

Now, desperate times and all that...I'm getting the impression that Home Fronters aren't as sexy as plain green things covered in nets so I went to the trouble of making this fine Docs helmet more acceptable to the Green-lovers.....

...it's original....well...I'm pretty sure it is!

SMP
    ?

Don't know what it is, but I like the 2nd one better !

Joking aside, why weren't doctor's helmets white ?

Dunno mate....white was the official rule (or at least it's the only one I've found) but I've got two blacks now...the other has FAP on too....they're "right"....although I'm starting to doubt the net.....

?

Garden centres across the land run out of garden netting,suspects believed to be well known ebay sellers.

Here's my plain Jane, black.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

....you've always got one to fit the bill haven't you Mr Lid.....well, I heard recently that there were vegetable managers with "CABBAGE" on their lids and others who were essential to sanitation with "TOILET" (white on black....obviously).......

SMP
    ?

Quote by Composite View Post
    it's very true...'even patented it....1939.....)
    I have that, but the patent sounds more sophisticated than just 2 tiny holes. To me the holes look more like those seen on South African helmets used to attach something.

Abstract

520,989. Helmets: OSWIN, J., and ORMEROD, G. Feb. 17, 1939, 'No. 5273. [Class 63] A one piece military helmet B made of a dome shaped metal pressing has a peephole or peepholes provided in the brim as shown at A in Fig. 1 in a position convenient for the wearer to look through above normal eyelevel without exposing the face or inclining the head backwards. The upper edges of the peepholes may be bent up to form a channel so as to convey any moisture or rain away to the sides of the helmet. The peepholes may be fitted with transparent material or gauze and provided with shutters.

Are you saying my holes aren't sophisticated?

Holes is holes. :-)

'Honest....'as simple as......one helmet, two holes...... actually it's the "shutters" that interested me

Page 47 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast