Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 61 of 88 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

...thanks Mr Lid.......'was wondering if this one would get more interest.....

I can't quite make out the decal detail properly because of the angle of the picture. I don't want to commit myself to this one too much, so I will err on the side of caution and say that the decal looks as though it may be a fake masquerading as a 'Pocher' decal. As far as I am aware this type of decal was never used on this style of helmet, but I would wait for others to chime in with their opinions before writing it off completely. I'm not entirely convinced by the winter camouflage either, but maybe 'G W' stands for ''Germania Werke?'

Why have you posted it in this section?

Well, I am surprised nobody has recognised this as an ultra rare lid from the elite Waffen SS Freiwillige Panzer Grenadier Division "Gross Wolverhampton"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I should add that no helmets were damaged in the photographing of this piece :-)

Mills Foundary Llanidloes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I saw one of these for sale recently....I wonder if someone's recently cracked open an old cupboard...

The top one looks like it once had a white band around the crown...is there anything else ghosting under there?

Quote by Composite View Post
    I saw one of these for sale recently....I wonder if someone's recently cracked open an old cupboard...

The top one looks like it once had a white band around the crown...is there anything else ghosting under there?
    Possibly a white stripe running over the crown.

These two came from the town, but perhaps a hoard was found somewhere there recently
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.....it does indeed look like a white band AROUND the crown and a white stripe OVER the crown too....nice

Well, I weakened sufficiently to grab the senior fire helmet (see SMP's post #592) from the Barr & Stroud company thinking it'd sit nicely with my No.12 MkVI B&S range finder.....'not sure what part of the MkII shelving was gonna be home to metre-long heavy tube of green metal.....what was I thinking? :-)

Anyway...I know where it is and that's all that matters!

These Industrial ARP lids are often found NFS'd (is that a verb?) with the Company name in a white-ish black-edged box under the NFS transfer...so this helmet could've been NFS Khaki green with the NFS badge, "Barr and Stroud" (or possibly "B&S") in much smaller lettering underneath and the guys seniority would've been represented by "CFO" in red and the usual NFS rank banding. As Steve's post shows, this one has the two half inch red bands associated with a CFO in charge of 1-5 major appliances. One can only guess that B&S weren't affiliated to the NFS at that time.....or simply didn't follow the rules....."surely not!" I hear you cry!!

...actually, in reality I'll be lucky to hear anything at all...there's no net, no stippled paint, no Divisional flash.....what's the point???

Very nice.

I have some Barr & Stroud binos, they are a bit lighter than a range finder I think
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 61 of 88 FirstFirst ... 11 51 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 71 ... LastLast