Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88

mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours

Article about: To kick this of, my favorite mkII. Liner is Teddy Toy company and the shell is Joseph Sankey & Sons and both are dated 1940. The hand painted serial number matches one from the block of

Adding this one to this thread to show the rippling to the rim in early MKII helmets.

My HBH (Harrison Brothers & Howson 1938 dated example with a 1938 Vero liner.

I won't add all the photos as I've posted this in a separate thread.

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours   mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

An updated photo of all my MK2 helmets together.

At the front there's a plain Homefront MK2, originally painted black, I cannot find the markings on this shell it has the MKIII chinstrap lugs with original MKII chinstrap and the liner is a 7 1/2 T.T.C 1940 dated MKII, although missing the cruciform pad.

Alongside that is the latest addition being the Warden helmet. This too has paint too thick to find any markings but I believe it may be a BMB example. Also with the MKIII chinstrap lugs and a size 7 1939 BMB MKI liner.

On the middle row my 1938 dated HBH shell with the heavily rippled rim. This has 1938 dated MKII chinstrap lugs and a size 7 1938 VERO MKI liner. This example appears to have been painted post war with the thick dark green gloss paint and does not retain it's original chinstrap.

My SFP marked example is another case of thick homefront paint obscuring any markings. Unfortunately at some point someone tried to foolishly strip of the white paint, this did reveal the two diamonds. This has MKIII chinstrap lugs and retains it's original MKII chinstrap. The liner is a size 6 3/4 1939 dated VERO MKI.

And the back row my Dutch MKII clone, a 1956 dated example that I picked up when I was much younger and much less experienced with how many countries made these. This has been completely tampered with as it was repainted for reenacting, it came with hessian fitted and a net, I kept the net on for display purposes. The chinstrap appears to be an original British MKII and the liner in this is a post war version with the patent number on the liner buffers.

And finally my MK2 No2.C with the three holes in either side of the brim. This is a 1940 dated BMB example in it's original blue/grey paint. It has a factory inventory mark on the brim of "DH 222". MKIII chinstrap lugs with original MKII chinstrap. It has a 1940 dated T.T.C MKII liner.

The scribbled out parts of the photo are covering the mess that is the room I use to photograph items

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

A few more to add, from my brother's collection this time. From front left to back again.

A MKII with SC painted to the front, I think this could be Special Constable but could be wrong as it doesn't say police anywhere. The shell is a RO&CO although I cannot make out the date on the shell. It has the large brass bolt for the liner with the rounded dish shaped retaining nut. What remains of the liner is a 1940 dated T.T.C. II liner. It has MKIII chinstrap lugs and retains the MKII chinstrap.

Next to this is his poor condition MKI*. This has an "M" for Messenger faintly on the front remaining. It has the clip cornered MKII chinstrap lugs and does retain a MKII chinstrap. There is very little of a liner left. Unfortunately due to condition there's no manufacturer marks on the shell and no date left on the liner. This has a strip of fabric glued into the inside of the shell that says "FIRE GROUP LEADER DODD".

On the next row is a regular black painted Home Front MKII, a 1939 dated shell (I cannot make out the manufacturer). The liner is a 1939 dated T.T.C. , this says "I" on it however has the cruciform pad of the MKII. This has MKIII chinstrap lugs with a MKII chinstrap.

Then he has the two more crude examples posted on another thread. These both have a dutch bend style rim and are magnetic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture mkII (&mkI or earlier) Helmets Steel, British & Commonwealth, show yours  

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88