MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

My U.S Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: Hey guys i got this helmet last year and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what Date its from??

?

Default My U.S Civil Defense Helmet

Hey guys i got this helmet last year and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what Date its from??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My U.S Civil Defense Helmet   My U.S Civil Defense Helmet  

My U.S Civil Defense Helmet   My U.S Civil Defense Helmet  

Default Re: My U.S Civil Defense Helmet

Nice, clean looking OCD helmet! Unfortunately, probably because of how common these things are, and how cheap they can be picked up for, people just don't follow threads about them on this board. I guess they aren't very exciting when compared to combat helmets...

I have one too, but not as clean as yours. It must have been left in standing water for a while... probably in a basement.

I've looked everywhere on mine, but can't find a date. I think we can assume that our helmets were made during WW2 and perhaps used throughout the Cold War.

Now you have to get an OCD gasmask to display with your OCD lid!

I've had the same issue, I've got one and can't find any info on how to ID these darned things. I'm starting to think they were all made during WWII and just hung around post war until they were done away with. I'm going with that until someone tells me otherwise.

i agree there have got to be ww2 period and continued to be used post war heres a pic of mine thanks jamesMy U.S Civil Defense Helmet

?

Yeah thats what i was thinking and nice display.
    Thanks
    Ryan

If im not mistaken (and i probably am )
    The OCD was set up May 20, 1941 and was terminated on June 4, 1945.Soon after taking office, Harry Truman abolished the OCD,
    reflecting the widely held belief that the
    immediate threat of war had receded
    Therefore if your helmet is maked with OCD,then its date is between those years.
    Hope this helps,nice lids by the way
    Mick

The OCD helmets are ww2 issue. Ive got one from a women who was a air raid warden for L.A. It same thing as your guys, but with different markings on the helmet. I also have a period picture of her wareing it.

?

Thanks Mick For the info now i know for sure its ww2!

thanks for the info guys just looked under mine and cant see any ocd stamp what so ever only somebodys name in pencil so it has to be post war also where it says cd on the front i can just about see a visible stencil of the the word reserve