Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 67 of 81 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 ... LastLast

The new ebay money maker

Article about: One of these sold for over £880. The other two hope to !

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...everyone would be far better off investing in WW1 Brit tank crew masks.....they’re getting cheaper....presumably because there’s only a few of us left who haven’t yet bought one! :-)

Re Helmets...they’re still coming AND still being bought......why are we bothering......
    "why are we bothering" I don't know mate, because the people who buy this junk obviously are not reading this thread!

A lot of regional Auction houses are selling “exotic” military and HF lids and I think they are seen as an easier sell perhaps. I don’t know what responsibility these Houses have...they are effectively middle men...and surely it’s their responsibility to secure the best return for their sellers.......is it the Auction houses responsibility to validate authenticity or is it Buyer Beware?...I dunno.......

There must be a trend just to rob folk blind!even top end website dealers are being brought into question regarding some of there high end items and how rare they were until very recently now there turning up like buses one after another,you guys have put so much time and effort into this thread like what Mark said the owners will never come forward as they probably know they own a fake,or maybe they bought it with this in mind only to pedal it straight on to some poor B......

Oh I’m CONVINCED we’re wasting our time here.......but one needs to vent every now and again.......

Hey, does anyone know where I can get a genuine British WW1 tank crew mask?

SMP
    ?

Quote by Composite View Post
    Hey, does anyone know where I can get a genuine British WW1 tank crew mask?
    Here, but they wouldn't give me a price !
    face mask, anti-splinter, tank crew | Imperial War Museums

SMP
    ?

Another beauty from the South coast
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  

As Composite knows I'm attempting a brief foray to the dark side and fancy a German ww1 M16/17 any dealer you guys would recommend..cheers

I like this one, might as well have written it in marker pen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The new  ebay money maker  

Sometimes I look at these things and think "good grief another one?" and sometimes I get really angry that this is happening. Whether it is abject lack of knowledge or rank dishonesty the result stands to be the same with somebody buying a piece of "history" that is corrupt and certainly not what they think it is.

We all at some time will say that the buyer should do their research and it is at least partly their own fault but is it that simple?

We all began from a position of no knowledge, many of us in the pre-internet era ( we tend to get a bit smug about "doing it the hard way" ) and the person who falls for this will be using an above board "secure" marketing platform ( think of that fabulous money back warranty) and dealing with a seller who has 100% positive feedback which is worth nothing unless put into context with sales history etc.

I just wish there was some way to expose these conmen and also force Ebay to be responsible for utter rubbish that is constantly offered there. Their policy of "we are only a platform service with no control over the users" is unbelievably weak to put it kindly. They won't allow the sale of a valuable collectible even antique because it is bladed (what kind of criminal would spend four or five figures on a sword or dagger to stab somebody with when they can use a kitchen knife that they probably have access to anyway?) but they allow 100% fakes calculated to cause a criminal deception (which is covered by fraud legislation in most countries) and take no responsibility at all. I'm afraid that in my opinion Ebay is a cesspool.

Do I buy off Ebay? Yes of course I do but from a position of knowledge and prudence. I just wish there was a way to expose the con artists and idiots or at least convey the message to those ill informed individuals that "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck the chances are that it is a f****ing duck". In an ideal world eh?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-02-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 67 of 81 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 ... LastLast