Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

New Zealand Mk II Helmet

Article about: This particular Mk II was assembled in New Zealand and they were only done so in country for one year ( 1941 )... Only examples with chin strap lugs dated to 1941 and so marked NPZ ( New Zea

?

Default New Zealand Mk II Helmet

This particular Mk II was assembled in New Zealand and they were only done so in country for one year ( 1941 )...
    Only examples with chin strap lugs dated to 1941 and so marked NPZ ( New Zealand Pressing ) are to be considered as a product of New Zealand and are extremely rare and hard to source do to limited production numbers..
    The helmet bodies were acquired from the Australian firm of the American company Commonwealth Steel Compagny Pty Limited,
    Chinstraps and liners were as well sourced from the Australian branch of the English firm Dunlop whom specialized in manufacturing automobile tires..
    All components with the exception of the chinstrap lugs were imported these were manufactured in country the rest of the parts that were needed were brought in from Australia to New Zealand and assembled at the General Motors Plant in Petone, Wellington...
    They are manufactured from manganese steel and weigh in at approximately 1120 grams the helmet body was only produced in one size
    Liners were made available in seven different sizes to accommodate the troops...
    This Mk II is a nice period worn example with a great patina which has that been there done that look I like so much in my helmets it has been overpainted in a desert tan and has some sparse green patches added for camouflage..
    As can be seein the images below this Mk II must of been sporting a hessian cover at some time in its service life and adhered itself to the paint as there are still cross hatch marks clearly visible on the green and the remnants of the twists in the hessian threads visible in the thicker parts of the tan paint...

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Mk II Helmet   New Zealand Mk II Helmet  

New Zealand Mk II Helmet   New Zealand Mk II Helmet  

?

I have included a few images of the helmet sporting a New Zealand produced tan cotton twill cover these are rarely seen and hard to source as can be seen in the images below there was a NZ Onward cap badge present at one time and mounted to the front I have replaced this with a period correct example for the purpose of display..
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    My understanding on the New Zealand manufactured Hessian covers is as such the ones originally left in their natural ( "sandy" hessian sacking material ) colour were well suited for the theatre of operations in Africa, and the campaign in Italy and Southern France as the war was conducted mostly in the desert and or arid climates..
    Later in the War when Kiwi soldiers went into the Pacific Theater that colour was for the most part inappropriate and the covers were DYED "JUNGLE GREEN" Sadly this treatment obscured all previous maker markings and Broad Arrow stamps (That could be found on them as "Hessian Coloured" Camouflage covers )
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet
    New Zealand Mk II Helmet

Regards Mark

SMP
    ?

Very nice presentation . Love the NZ MKII.

Strange to think it is easier to find a cover than a MKII atm.

a very rare lid in the uk I think, I do not remember seeing one for sale
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Cheers Steve and Jerry it took me a long time to find a NZ Mk II to add to my collection as to the covers they seem to pop up sporadically in the marketplace but sell out quick so I thought I better scoop them up while I had a chance..
    Was pretty pleased that a fellow collector offered me up this natural hessian colored example to finish upthis particular helmet I can not make out the date on the cover but we already know from the previous examples of the ones produced by B.C.N.B. Ltd that they where all dated to 1942 so in all likelihood it will be the same ...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand Mk II Helmet   New Zealand Mk II Helmet  

New Zealand Mk II Helmet  

SMP
    ?

A green cover is on sale for £450. Not 3 weeks ago the same dealer was asking £350 !