Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Odd Mk.II helmet. Royal Navy?

Article about: I have an unusual Mk.II Brodie helmet that I’ve not been able to positively identify. It’s stamped S75 / BMB 1943 and appears to have been factory painted a slate gray colour (no other c

Default Odd Mk.II helmet. Royal Navy?

I have an unusual Mk.II Brodie helmet that I’ve not been able to positively identify. It’s stamped S75 / BMB 1943 and appears to have been factory painted a slate gray colour (no other colour is visible beneath this gray where the paint is scratched and chipped. The really unusual thing is the clamp thing fitted to the helmet. Does anyone know what this helmet might be? With the gray colour I was thinking Navy, and the clamp was for holding a flashlight, but that’s just a guess.

?

It's more likely a home front helmet. The attachment, the is is one in 'the book', is probably for a head lamp.

1943 is a late manufacture date I think.

Steve.

?

Looking at the liner which is European, I'd say the helmet has been refurbished post war by most likely the Dutch.

?

Missed the liner completely, I'll claim the strap thew me off.

Ah, Dutch! I think you’re probably correct. Thanks for clearing this up!

?

British helmets by 43 were either black for home front, or dark brown for military by that year.
    The colour does look typical for Dutch use, be interesting to find out more about the light strap.

it is for holding a huge joint....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

So, the helmet’s from Amsterdam, then!

I presently have this helmet in hand. The lamp attachment is facing to the rear of the helmet. The bracket has traces of dark OD green paint on the underside. It has been on the helmet long enough that the paint on the helmet has oxidized,leaving a ghost impression of the bracket. The helmet appears to have it's original paint, inside and out and it is definatley a light, OD green...not grey as first reported. There are no holes drilled in the helmet to designate it as mild steel. A fridge magnet will stick to the bracket, but no other part of the helmet...including the chinstrap loops. The liner nut is totally wartime correct for the 1943 date. The liner was in the helmet backwards and it is the most out of place item on this helmet, other than the unusual bracket. Overall, I'm quite blown over by this helmet.

?

The lining retention nut and bolt is Dutch made by the looks, like the liner and paint.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast