Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?

Article about: I recently was at an estate sale and while looking around, I noticed a few hats. From a distance since it was white and was near a sun helmet, I thought it was some sort of safari hat. I pic

Question The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?

I recently was at an estate sale and while looking around, I noticed a few hats. From a distance since it was white and was near a sun helmet, I thought it was some sort of safari hat. I picked it up out of curiosity and realized it was steel and the liner design was very similar to the M1. I could not see the markings particularly well besides the government property stamp which didn't make things any clearer for me but decided to get it if the price was right, which was the princely sum of $10. It cleaned up quite well, no dents, the paint is very bright.
    I did managed to find out that it is a civil defense helmet from the war time period and they were made by McCord radiator. I did also read there were some stamped of a later post war civil defense organization as well. But because these are common,not combat helmets, and were never needed for their intended use against air raids,it seems like there is very little information about them. Does anyone know of a source that goes further into the history, like the governments requirements, development, how many were produced, how long they were produced etcetera?
    The design of the shell makes it simpler to produce than the M1 as well as the fixed liner in the helmet, but the liner and chinstrap seem much more complicated in terms of manufacturer opposed to the M1 liner, but the materials are thinner. The two strings that tighten the band around the head have probably 16 or more metal ring rivets, the button snaps at the back, one side has 4 to adjust, and the other only has 2. The chinstrap has a button to attach, as opposed to the M1 with the sewn on straps. I am curious as to why they did not just copy the M1 liner suspension directly, perhaps this allows it to fit much smaller heads as it was expected to be used by women and younger people due to it's nature as a home guard sort of equipment?

Now to the second part, stuffed up above the liner was a piece of fabric with a red cross on it, one side was folded and sewn, with what looks like a butcher twine sort of rope going through it. I have no idea what it is, I though perhaps it it an arm band, but I don't see how it would go on. I do see examples of Civil Defense arm bands online, but nothing medical related, red cross arm bands don't look like this either. Perhaps homemade, anyone recognize this sort of pattern?
    The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?

The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?
    Last edited by CheapHelmetEnthusiast; 10-03-2020 at 02:38 AM.

MAP
    ?

Very nice. We don't often see US Civil Defense items on the forum. Good pick up.

The Red Cross looks like something that would have hung up in a window.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I do see these on ebay quite often but the postage from the states makes them undesirable to collectors over here, otherwise I would have added one to my collection, they are a part of the history of the time.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I tend to dabble in Brit Home Front lids....'though I try to keep that quiet....

BUT if I lived in the US I'd've built a whole collection of these things....I think they're massively under rated. I fully accept that the Brit ones suffered bombing but so did America's (if you include unmanned Japanese hot air balloons) but visually I think they're impressive.

I only have one

The Office of Civil Defense helmet, and a medic.. armband?

Is that a US produced helmet as well? I am aware of the British civil defense helmets like the Zuckerman with the sort of liner that has holes in the shell to thread what looks like rope through. I didn't know other ones used that sort as well since it seems somewhat odd not having handled one in person, but I suppose it would be easier to manufacturer, have the holes made during the stamping process, then just thread a string through opposed to having to deal with producing or installing rivets or pins for less important equipment.

Yes