Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Pilot Officers British Tin Lid

Article about: I was going through my Mk2s last night and found this P/Os named lid, British made, but I wonder if it was used by a British or Canadian Officer as I do not know how the British issued seria

?

Default Pilot Officers British Tin Lid

I was going through my Mk2s last night and found this P/Os named lid, British made, but I wonder if it was used by a British or Canadian Officer as I do not know how the British issued serial numbers.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Pilot Officers British Tin LidPilot Officers British Tin LidPilot Officers British Tin Lid

Canadian and commissioned from the ranks.

Aircrew enlistments from early 1940 onwards had to wait until they had been trained to "wings" standard before being either promoted Sergeant or commissioned. If commissioned, they received a "J" number (remember, flight engineers excepted), regardless of whether the commissioning was immediate or later in their career. To go back to J.E. Abbey, enlisted January 1941 as R.82627 - upon being commissioned he received a new number - J.86037.

Canadian Second World War Assigned Letters & Regimental Service Number ID. - Canada at War Forums
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Interesting Mk II Dean love that it has been signed and it is complete with his service number I really like the wear and patina on this one are there any manufacturers marks visible on the shell and the liner that you can see.
    It looks like the liner securing nut and bolt may have been replaced at some time in its life hard to tell from the images but I think I can see the a shadow from were the original Mk I 16 mm bolt head once was on the exterior of the shell .

Regards Mark

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Canadian and commissioned from the ranks.

Aircrew enlistments from early 1940 onwards had to wait until they had been trained to "wings" standard before being either promoted Sergeant or commissioned. If commissioned, they received a "J" number (remember, flight engineers excepted), regardless of whether the commissioning was immediate or later in their career. To go back to J.E. Abbey, enlisted January 1941 as R.82627 - upon being commissioned he received a new number - J.86037.

Canadian Second World War Assigned Letters & Regimental Service Number ID. - Canada at War Forums
    Many thanks for the link Jerry I have visited this site on occasion but must have missed this somehow it is now saved to my favorites list another valuable resource

Regards Mark

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Many thanks for the link Jerry I have visited this site on occasion but must have missed this somehow it is now saved to my favorites list another valuable resource

Regards Mark
    Your welcome Mark. I must have found it whilst searching service numbers a while back and whacked it straight in my bookmarks bar/links. It would have been when I was researching the service number in my Canadian made FS cap.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The helmet was made by AMC 1941, so it is a British made lid.

Dean O

?

Thanx Dean it would make a good research project.
    Regards Mark