Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Senior Fire Guard Helmet

Article about: Hello folks. Need some outside judgement on this one. As this will be my first Home Front helmet, and being big on Home Front militaria in general, I don't want to show myself up by buying a

Default Senior Fire Guard Helmet

Hello folks.

Need some outside judgement on this one. As this will be my first Home Front helmet, and being big on Home Front militaria in general, I don't want to show myself up by buying a duff piece.
    I have no doubt that the helmet shell is original. I'm also comfortable with the liner, being of the common leather/webbing type seen on all Zuckerman helmets.

It's the white outer coat and the 'F.G' markings that have me concerned. It looks like it was done by hand, which makes sense given the context. But I'm ever so slightly worried that it was done recently. It does have the right amount of 'age' but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Are my concerns all for nothing, or was I right to hold fire on this purchase?

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Senior Fire Guard Helmet   Senior Fire Guard Helmet  

Senior Fire Guard Helmet   Senior Fire Guard Helmet  

Senior Fire Guard Helmet  

It seems right to me.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    It seems right to me.
    A few days from now, it'll be sitting happily with the rest of my collection. Thank you for the help!

B.B.

?

I also like this piece, very nice.....congrats.

...'looks good to me....it'll be the first whitey I've seen faked if I thought it was (and I don't) although CPHs are being "enhanced" now with company names and transfers. The condition is really nice.

....and it's either a Fire Guard Block Leader or Fire Guard Street Party Leader...they both used a black half inch stripe with black "FG". If it's an inch wide it's more senior....but they weren't that careful with a paint brush back then so it could be either.

Welcome to an endless and often fruitless path!!! ;-)

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...'looks good to me....it'll be the first whitey I've seen faked if I thought it was (and I don't) although CPHs are being "enhanced" now with company names and transfers. The condition is really nice.

....and it's either a Fire Guard Block Leader or Fire Guard Street Party Leader...they both used a black half inch stripe with black "FG". If it's an inch wide it's more senior....but they weren't that careful with a paint brush back then so it could be either.

Welcome to an endless and often fruitless path!!! ;-)
    Isn't that what makes the hobby so much fun, though?

Will upload more photos when I get it in a few days. Got a couple of other things in the post as well. Once the bug bites, it doesn't let go!

B.B.