Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SFP MK2 Helmet

Article about: Hi All, This one has been sitting in my local antiques shop for as long as I can remember now. It seems odd being marked as SFP and was unsure on it. So posting it here for opinions before I

Default SFP MK2 Helmet

Hi All,

This one has been sitting in my local antiques shop for as long as I can remember now. It seems odd being marked as SFP on a Mk2 and was unsure on it. So posting it here for opinions before I decide whether to take it home with me or not finally.

It has a 1939 Vero liner installed. Obviously it's not in the greatest condition externally and has had two diamonds above the SFP marking in the past.

I can't see the markings on the shell itself .

Look forward to seeing everyone's opinions,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SFP MK2 Helmet   SFP MK2 Helmet  

SFP MK2 Helmet   SFP MK2 Helmet  

Last edited by Steelhead10; 01-15-2024 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Additional information

?

Hello Matt, since I didn't have a clue of what SFP meant I did a quick search, found this informative site: WW2 Fire Guards & Fire Watchers Insignia, Armbands, Lapel Badges & Helmets

SFP stands for Supplementary Fire Parties.

I'm not familiar with the MK 2 helmets. I would say that this one was customised by a SFP captain who glued two pipes on his helmet. Helmets where painted with whatever white paint was handy. This helmet reflects nicely the legacy of the British WW2 home front with character. Thanks for showing, I've learned something again.
    Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply. Seems likely I also noted that before the CPH (Zuckerman) the MK2 was used early on.

If I finish work early enough tomorrow I may have to go back for it.

Matt

?

Matt, keep in mind that someone, try sadly to remove most of the white paint. In doing so he vandalised the helmet, not knowing better. Taking that into consideration the helmet should be priced accordingly. The name on the chinstrap could help find information on the owner & with luck part of the helmet's history. That helmet deserves to be rescued. Good luck.

Jack

It's a pity that a previous owner thought it wise to apply stripper to the helmet, to hunt for a unit flash and/or the maker info on the inside rim. Agree it needs looking after at the right price.

I went back and got it at a better price. I'll take some clearer photos once I'm home.

Now that I'm home and I've set up my new phone I get to test a newer camera here.
    The name on the Chinstrap looks to be "G. H. ROOFS" or "ROOTS" it's difficult to tell due to the buckle and the string around the excess chinstrap.

I hope you all enjoy,

Matt

Edit - Forgot to mention that it previously looks like it was painted black over the original factory paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SFP MK2 Helmet   SFP MK2 Helmet  

SFP MK2 Helmet  
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 01-17-2024 at 07:27 PM.

?

Hi Matt, I believe your new helmet may be a MK 1*, a refurbished MK 1 helmet. Not to be confused with the early Mk2. I say that because of the round crown pad riveted at the top of the cradle. It will have to be examined for other details to confirm. Your helmet is getting more & more interesting! Good pick!

Jack

Hi Jack,

My impression was that a true MK1* would have had the MK2 clip cornered chinstap lugs and an overall less refined/less oval shape than a MK2. Also I thought that earlier MK2's used the same oval pad liners as the MK1* but MK1s and MK1* were used by the British Expeditonary Force whilst initial MK2s went to the Home Front and Home Guard (Local Defence Volunteers).

Matt

?

Hi Matt, the MK1* kept their magnetic rims, a white M was stencil painted in the crown (World War Helmet). Some of the early MK2 were MK 1 shells with non-magnetic rims, MK 1 liners & MK 2 chinstraps (Martin Bradley book). Your right with the early MK 2s going to Police, Firemen & Civil defense. But as you know there is often oddballs! Having the helmet in your hand you'll be able to investigate & find out. Have fun & post what you find out. I'm learning & will present my Canadian Civil Defence in the near future.

Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast