Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

South African Helmet

Article about: Hi all. Just got this South African helmet in a job lot off ebay. When I picked it up I discovered that it has been repainted and you can still see the original desert paintwork inside. It h

Default South African Helmet

Hi all. Just got this South African helmet in a job lot off ebay. When I picked it up I discovered that it has been repainted and you can still see the original desert paintwork inside. It has the original Jager- Rand liner but I am trying to find out if the green paint work is original (it doesnt look it to me) and what it the best and safest way to strip it off without damaging the original paint underneath. Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African Helmet   South African Helmet  

South African Helmet  

?

Default Re: South African Helmet

Nice original WW2 SA helmet with post war paint on the outside, to strip or not to strip? Sometimes it comes off quite easy other times you wished you had'nt started, up to you.

It's part of the helmets history and some might think it is best left as it is. Looks like a tidy paint job and might be an official repaint and reuse.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Cheers guys, Its a tricky one. Not sure if I would have the balls to risk stripping on reflection. Under what circumstances would it have been repainted post war?

?

These things I believe turn up all around the Mediterranean as re-issues to various countries. Yours has the original South African liner still in there, so to identify the re-issue will be difficult as one can usually identify them by the liner.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks Andy, I did'nt realise that.

Nice SA model,the liner is in good nick too
    I like the Neck Flap holes,they look unfinished, ie .not ground down flush with the rim.
    Cheers Mick