MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

South African Mk 2 Brodie

Article about: Hello all, I'm looking to have the ever-valuable input of our resident lid experts on this South African Mk 2 Brodie that a dealer has for sale. I am specifically looking for North Africa-th

?

Default South African Mk 2 Brodie

Hello all,

I'm looking to have the ever-valuable input of our resident lid experts on this South African Mk 2 Brodie that a dealer has for sale.

I am specifically looking for North Africa-themed items, as there is a familial connection to that theatre and I would like some representation in the form of a suitably 'desert themed' helmet.

The example I'm looking to receive your opinions on is this nice example, which does have some stacking stains and minor rust, but (unlike most examples of 'South African' helmets I see) this one does seem to retain its original South Africa liner.

So, lid collectors... What are your thoughts to this example? Anything I should consider when looking at these specific helmets?

Any and all input is, as always, greatly appreciated!

- Gumrum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African Mk 2 Brodie   South African Mk 2 Brodie  

South African Mk 2 Brodie   South African Mk 2 Brodie  

South African Mk 2 Brodie  

SMP
    ?

It is 100% genuine, but unissued. This one would have never got anywhere near N.Africa. Most (all?) 1943 dated SA lids sat in storage as part of the Eastern Group Supply Council stocks destined not to be used till well after WW2. You need to find a 1940 or 1942 dated one.

?

Wow, thanks for that great insight! I'm definitely keen to have a true N.Africa piece if at all possible... I've seen examples of this helmet with the usual cruciform liner, which I presume is the result of a SA lid being coupled with a non-SA liner?

Thanks again for your time!

SMP
    ?

A South African shell with a cruciform ( British ) liner will be a post-war refurb. E-bay is awash with these. They have no collector value.

Quote by SMP View Post
    A South African shell with a cruciform ( British ) liner will be a post-war refurb. E-bay is awash with these. They have no collector value.
    It is worth mentioning that many ex-SA shells were refurbished and lined by Greece in the late40s-early50s. These will (usually) have an apparently British-type liner but made of a brown plasticised material, with a bright steel metal cradle, and a WW1 type one-piece chinstrap. And be dark green. These were once comparatively common - twenty years ago - but now hard to find. They will have 'collector value', whatever that is (they will around here anyway). The 'usually' points to the fact that some - very few - will have the Greek leather liner as normally seen on the Greek M36. The shells were all passed on or sold as surplus after 1945.