Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?

Article about: Hello all, first off a very happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the States. To everyone else, cheers as well. Annoyed from this ads?   I have what appears to be a MKIII Helmet (based on

Default Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?

Hello all, first off a very happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the States. To everyone else, cheers as well.

I have what appears to be a MKIII Helmet (based on position of chinstrap lugs) but with a MKIV "LTD" style liner. Were MKIII ever retrofitted to MKIV? The shell does not have divot (or dimple?) in the metal work where the LTD
    style button is like my MKIV or MKV.

Also thoughts on the paint? I think its a nice helmet, and the price i paid would of been good for a MKIV let alone a MKIII.

Regards

Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?

Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?

Please note the chinstrap lugs appear to be horribly off center in a few photos, but rest assured it is simply the angle in which i am holding the helmet and the orientation of the liner.

Good buy! I don't know the real story behind these 'Mk3 and a half' helmets, but they do exist (obviously...) and are quite uncommon. Seen a few on forums from time to time but never in real life. I have never heard or read it said that there was any actual organised official effort to refit the Mk3 shells for the LTD liner, and the accepted wisdom (around here anyway) is that it was done at local depots as required to use stocks. Someone may well have more and better information.

?

It was most likely a Mk3 refurbished post war by the looks, but without documentation I guess we are just p---- in the wind.
    But here's a nice Mk4 as it left the factory, but it's travel through the factory started out as being stamped a Mk3. So yours might have been made at just that cut off point from being a Mk3, to a Mk4?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?   Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?  

Transitional MKIII/MKIV helmet?  

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately the markings are obscured by heavy camoflage paint.

I was tempted to remove the LTD liner and convert it back to a true MKIII, but in this case, i will leave well enough alone.