Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Fiber Helmet Identification

Article about: Hello All, I've just acquired this fiber helmet. The leather is marked BMB 1941. It's made of similar material to the liners for US M1 helmets. Do you think there might be any link to Britis

Default Unknown Fiber Helmet Identification

Hello All,

I've just acquired this fiber helmet. The leather is marked BMB 1941. It's made of similar material to the liners for US M1 helmets.

Do you think there might be any link to British Airborne helmets of the same era? I'm wondering if it might be a motorcycle helmet or similar, and therefore unrelated to military use, but being marked BMB and their association with WD contacts made me wonder.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions at all!

Thank you,

Tom. Unknown Fiber Helmet IdentificationUnknown Fiber Helmet IdentificationUnknown Fiber Helmet IdentificationUnknown Fiber Helmet Identification

The liner is of the type used in so-called 'Zuckerman' helmets, made and used on the Home Front.

Unknown Fiber Helmet IdentificationUnknown Fiber Helmet IdentificationUnknown Fiber Helmet Identification

They were issued with the liners unattached, requiring the owner to manually attach them by threading string or shoelaces through the holes in the shell. It is not uncommon to see the liners from Mk2 helmets used in them, and vice versa, to see Zuckerman liners used elsewhere. I can only assume that is what happened in this case, although I am unable to identify the helmet in question. A motorcycle or bicycle helmet would be a good guess.

Regards, B.B.

Miners helmet I think
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for those points. I thought miner's helmet, but many of them seem to have a peak, but there again, I don't know much about miner's helmets!

?

Isn't this an American made helmet,so why has it a British liner?

?

I think Jerry B is in the right area... I’ve got a feeling, though absolutely no evidence as yet, that they may have been produced for the ‘Bevin Boys’ - those poor, overlooked fellows who were called up to do their bit, then sent down the mines.
    They still did their bit.

It may be that the shells were made in the US, as the similarity is undeniable.

If I’m not stuck up the wrong tree, an important piece of history.
    Bob

I would agree with the above that it is not military but a miners helmet. The brim may have been trimmed on this example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Fiber Helmet Identification  
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown Fiber Helmet Identification 

?

Oh dear, its now a glider pilot helmet, for sale on ebay.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Oh dear, its now a glider pilot helmet, for sale on ebay.
    Well, that's depressing. Just when you think someone is genuinely interested in learning the history of a piece... Then it turns out they're just looking to make a buck. Swine.

EDIT: Also, it appears this fine gentleman is a militaria dealer, and has been active on eBay since 2004. I reiterate my previous exclamation: Swine.

B.B.

Someone should post that picture of the miner's helmet on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast