Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A

Article about: Hello, I recently acquired this US M1 helmet that according to the dealer's estimate should be produced in the year 1944. The odd thing is : when I look to a tabel where a shlueter helmet ca

Default US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A

Hello,
    I recently acquired this US M1 helmet that according to the dealer's estimate should be produced in the year 1944.
    The odd thing is : when I look to a tabel where a shlueter helmet can be dated with the heat stamp, this helmet should have
    fixed instead of swivel bales. The heat stamp is 80A
    If I am right the heat stamp is not a lotnumber but is the badge number of the steel ?
    Thanks in advance for any input !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A   US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A  

US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A   US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A  

Forgot to insert the tabel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A  

Lot numbers are often lightly stamped and difficult to see. I think I can see another number in front of the 80. The lid looks good. The liner has been refurbished. Very nice overall.
    John

Thanks 'Rescue190'
    What makes you think the liner has been refurbished ?

The sweatband does not match the wear of the pot. Take a pic of the markings on the nape strap and the sweatband. Is there a front hole in the liner? Just my opinion of course. Take that with a grain of salt. The netting also looks to correct but was applied after its normal use.
    John

Thanks a lot for helping me evaluating this helmet. The net inside the shell is hardened and stif (what doesn't of course rule out a netting put in postwar).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A   US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A  

Better view on markings on the sweatband. Yes, there is a front hole in the light shell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M1 Schlueter/westinghouse liner/front seam/swivel bales with heat stamp 80A  

Hello, indeed a Schlueter helmet with lot number 80 should have fixed loops, not mobile ones. Your helmet has the moving loops. It could be for two reasons: the lot number is missing a number, which would be under the paint, or perhaps it was repaired in times of war and some mobile loops were installed. I have a Schlueter that happens to him like that. Try to see if there is another number under the paint that can be seen because it does not appear to be a repair number, although if it does not have one, it would be a helmet repaired during or after the war. Also the chinstrap looks very new. All the best.

Thanks for the evaluation of the helmet, juanjo67....I played a lot with light and position of the helmet and making it wet for taking a good picture. Indeed, lotnumber is so lightly stamped that I loose it when I turn my eyes away. Not very enthousiastic to remove any paint of this helmet. Maybe a 2 in front of the 80A. Who will tell...
    According to the literature I found, the origin of the painted letter 'A' is unknown...,???

You Schlueter shell is lot 280A.
    The trick to Schlueter shells is the see where the S is centered. Example a 54A will have the S centered on the 4, while a 254A will have the S centered between 5 & 4. As you can notice on your shell, the S is centered between the 8 & 0, meaning there is a number in front of the 8. You can see the bottom line of the number 2.

Schlueter changed from fixed loops to hinged loops around Lot 220.