Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet

Article about: The M5 flak helmet was the last aircrew flak helmet developed during WWII. The metal is covered with a short fuzzy flocking to prevent skin sticking to metal at high altitudes (my camera can

?

Default US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet

The M5 flak helmet was the last aircrew flak helmet developed during WWII.
    The metal is covered with a short fuzzy flocking to prevent skin sticking to metal at high altitudes (my camera can't pick it up),there is no brim compared to the M3 which resembeled the standard M1 GI helmet with rounded ear flaps. The ear flaps were more pointed on the M5. Another inovation was the clip added to the chinstraps attached to the swivel bails for quick easy repair. An inovation used on the standard M1 helmet post war.

SteveR
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet   US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet  

US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet   US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet  

US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet   US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet  

Default re: US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet

Nice helmet ,I am glad someone is showing it .I just pick up the M5 and the M3 for my collection last month Now looking for the M4A2.I think the M4 is little harder to find.Your helmet is in great condition.

Nice one!! That helmet is in great condition. Iv got a couple of M3's but they are missing the flocking. Does anyone know if it can be redone?

?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Nice one!! That helmet is in great condition. Iv got a couple of M3's but they are missing the flocking. Does anyone know if it can be redone?
    As far as I know there is no one available to do that. Whether they have the flocking or not they are still great AAF items that wil most assuredly increase in value and rarity as the availability decreases over the next decade.
    SteveR

Quote by SteveR View Post
    As far as I know there is no one available to do that. Whether they have the flocking or not they are still great AAF items that wil most assuredly increase in value and rarity as the availability decreases over the next decade.
    SteveR
    You are totaly correct on the increase in value of those helmets.

?

Static flock is an old model making product, used here in the U.K. for model railway scenery, basically is finely copped fibres which form a power which can then be used for decorative purposes, these include, wall paper, car boots (trunks) and clove boxes. I assume the Flak helmets were originally Flocked while the paint on the helmet shell was wet, in the same manor as corking a standard M1 shell, thus once the paint had cure the excess flock was dust off. I'm sure if you wish to re-flock the helmet this could be done using a Flock power kit and by sticking the flock to the helmet shell by first spraying it with a light coat of clear Matt automotive lacquer.

Nige H
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Static flock is an old model making product, used here in the U.K. for model railway scenery, basically is finely copped fibres which form a power which can then be used for decorative purposes, these include, wall paper, car boots (trunks) and clove boxes. I assume the Flak helmets were originally Flocked while the paint on the helmet shell was wet, in the same manor as corking a standard M1 shell, thus once the paint had cure the excess flock was dust off. I'm sure if you wish to re-flock the helmet this could be done using a Flock power kit and by sticking the flock to the helmet shell by first spraying it with a light coat of clear Matt automotive lacquer.

Nige H
    Thanks for that i wasnt sure if it was the same stuff of not. ebay hear i come

?

I was offered some flak helmets sometime ago, which would have require restoration due to condition, and had I decide to buy them, this was the method of re-flocking I intend to try however this is only a theory as I never bothered to pursue the project, so please experiment first before trying this out on your M5 shell.

Nige H
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

SteyrAUG
    ?

Default Re: US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet

That is what I have here correct?

To the best of my knowledge (I've had this since about the mid 70s) the silver finish is original.

Default Re: US M5 Anti- Flak Helmet

Hi,just my opinion,but I would keep your helmet in it's "original"state. History takes it's toll and history tells a tale,a messed with helmet tells me nothing! Leon.