Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets

Article about: I’ve started this Thread to ensure the topic isn’t lost in another loosely linked topic

Default Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets

I’ve started this Thread to ensure the topic isn’t lost in another loosely linked topic

?

As with liners & chin straps that are easily removable, I guess you can't be 100% sure if the dressings have been there since the war.
    Down to experience, and one thing is for sure, if by putting a dressing under a net it adds ££££'s to the sale, then you are going to see a lot of them.
    I have never had an original netted helmet with dressing, so all I can add is some pictures.
    Over Mk2 helmets & Mk3's and off the shoulder numbers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets   Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets  

Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets   Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets  

Attached Images Attached Images Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets 

Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & netsWound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets

Two photos from NARA archive show, I think quite clearly, a first field dressing being worn under the SA net. The more common shell dressing is seen under the net of the soldiers laying a smoke screen. The difference in shape is obvious.

My point is that both types of dressing were worn under nets.

That said, I agree that when buying helmets with nets and dressings, caution is needed...

I can't say that I had ever noticed before. But the question I often ask myself is whether someone really would keep a helmet, netting, and dressing together for the best part of 80 years? I dare say that someone, somewhere must have, but if it is something that you start seeing multiple times, suspicions should be aroused.

Cheers,
    Steve

...very very hard to find.......but soooooo easy to achieve. From a practical point of view I’ve always wondered how easily one could access this key piece of kit in a hurry.....they certainly couldn’t cut them out with a pigsticker.

Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets

Thanks both. Good points raised and to add to that is this photo: a typical group of Tommies (in 51 Div I think) showing a nice range of helmets and nets/no nets being worn. Only one has opted for the shell dressing. I believe this is how it was with most not bothering. Therefore, lending more weight to the argument that they should be rare indeed to find now?

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...very very hard to find.......but soooooo easy to achieve. From a practical point of view I’ve always wondered how easily one could access this key piece of kit in a hurry.....they certainly couldn’t cut them out with a pigsticker.
    That was always my thoughts on the placement of the wound dressing, but it should be remembered that it wasn't so much for your ease of access to it, but rather that of your comrade... who in all likelihood would be the one to administer the dressing to you. After all, you didn't use your own dressing on a wounded comrade because you didn't know when you might need it yourself.

Cheers,
    Steve

another one you see occasionally for sale is british helmets with wire (& camo paint), obviously commonly seen on german helmets but not on british lids, well here is an original period photo showing one, so never say never.

thanks for all the pics of dressings under helmet nets, I never doubted they happened back then, just if any had survived that way, or is it only a bit of dressing up done in collections or to boost sales.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wound dressings, Mk2 helmets & nets  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I've been attending militaria sales from the early 1960's, the very first one I went to was at the CIS building in Manchester. And apart from a break of several years because of military service (and Covid), I have been to quite a few. Back in those days I cannot ever recall seeing German helmets with wire cages or camouflage paint, although they quite obviously must have existed. I don't recall seeing many British helmets, and Japanese stuff was rarer than rocking horse shit. But back in the 60's and 70's, the Japanese were probably more hated than the Germans. Even now - up to last February that is, I have not seen that many German camouflage helmets on sale at arms fairs. But they appear on here quite regular, as do WW1 German camouflage helmets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast