Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.

Article about: The first helmets for use in armoured vehicles were the Helmet, Crash, Royal Armoured Corps,sometime in the late 1930's.They seem to be made of cork & covered in material, I believe they

?

PPM stamped on this HCRAC is for Patent pulp manufacturing Co Ltd.
    Also this interesting leaflet for use by New Zealand troops.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps. 

?

Another excellent thread Aaron I hope you do not mind me adding mine for comparison as my HCRAC is slightly different than the one you have shown note the chinstrap material and the liner bands on the scrum has been manufactured from black material instead of the standard mat khaki green were as the cross bands in the HCRAC shell on my example are of the standard Khaki green as seen on your example .

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

?

More the merrier Mark, I'm glad you showed this one with the black chin strap, any chance of some more close up pics of the scrum.
    Maybe it's an different maker, or for practical reasons black hiding dirty marks, or done on a small scale at battalion level.

?

Here you go Aaron sorry for the initial picture's of the HCRAC they were some test photos from my new photo studio and they are rather poor quality and I have not had a chance to re shoot them yet.
    A few other things worth mentioning the interior of the shell is not marked to the Safety Supply Co of Toronto and the interior is finished as well in a white linen cloth which as well looks to differ from your example slightly.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.   WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The first steel helmet with fibre rim (Mk1 HSRAC) introdued in 1942.
    Wow! I've never seen this one before. Thanks!
    Piotrek

?

An interesting picture of Canadian troops training in the UK in 1941, both look to be wearing the British HCRAC.
    The one on the left is definitely British, the other could be Canadian, hard to tell the difference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British & Canadian Helmets, Crash, & Helmets, Steel, Royal Armoured Corps.  

a superb thread and some darn fine examples you have Aaron also the period referance pictures are great and non of which ive ever seen before ,thanks for sharing ,james
    Regards James

?

A near mint example of an Mk1 HSRAC in khaki green as apposed to the more common dark brown.
    It has what looks like a 1 or maybe a 4 stamped on the inside shell, unfortunately that is the only stamp I can find, but would have been made by BMB. The liner is a 1945 dated one made by CCL, so most likely never saw war service hence the good condition.

?

Now that is one bloody nice lid Aaron it always amazes me as to what is still out there 70 odd years later.
    IMO it has never been worn the liner looks near pristine as does the shell you must be quite happy with this one will be very hard to upgrade to anything better.

Regards Mark

?

Thanks Mark, only very little wear, you can see where the rubber buffers have left a slight mark on the inside.
    A keeper which I won't be able to better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast