Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 British chin straps

Article about: Some enterprising sole invented the adjusta pad, for helmets without the standard chin strap lug like the civilian protective helmet. Also for some reason on this US helmet, which also has d

?

Some enterprising sole invented the adjusta pad, for helmets without the standard chin strap lug like the civilian protective helmet. Also for some reason on this US helmet, which also has different lugs than the British. The rubber ends fold over & a metal pin threads through to hold the strap in place.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

Last edited by tinlid; 01-18-2014 at 05:28 PM.

?

& finally for now as this could go on for ever, a civilian take on the Mk2 chin strap on a CPH.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

Excellent thread, great to see the details of all the chinstrap variants.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

A home front factory helmet belonging to MR? It has an home made strap, some of the strap is stitched together, some stuck together at the joins.

?

A bit like a Mk3 chin strap this one,but with a different sliding buckle & it's non-elasticated,so most likely for civilian use only.
    Update: Pretty sure it's a post war Israeli made strap.

WW2 British chin straps  
    Last edited by tinlid; 12-02-2014 at 05:34 PM.

?

Seen this helmet described as, private purchase sold at Woolworths, Who knows? There are no markings on the shell, the liner just has the size 6 1/4. But it has an interesting strap made of leather & cotton.

WW2 British chin straps  

?

Here's a herringbone pattern on a chin strap, but unlike on an army strap this material is very soft whereas an army one are stiffer.
    It also has an black ink stamp of a star/asterisk to donate home front use only.

Did the MkIII chinstraps ever have maker marks as i have seen some dated 1941 made by C & K Ltd? as I see loads on ebay and have doubts if the stamp is real. (Sorry just saw the MKIII chinstrap Is that one pictured yours?)

?

The one pictured is not mine, but I have had one named & dated, & have seen others for sale.

The only reason I have my Doubts is all the ones iv seen are dated 1941 (I do have one and I put it on my MkIII Helmet but the one i have is also dated 1941 the chinstrap that is.) (witch I found the maker and the date stamp on Ro & Co (Rubery Owen & Co) 1944 For my helmet)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast