Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ww2 M1 or not?

Article about: Hello, can someone look up this M1 helmet shell and tell me if it is ww2? Heatstamp is 6 2 5 (either 0,3,8 or 9..) Have no picture because it is so faded, it is barely noticeable let alone t

It looks to me like a M75 helmet.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

What about the heatstamp, tan chinstrap and 3 layers of paint including the rough lightgreen 'american' paint?

The swivel loop on your helmet has the flap going over the top on WW2 swivel loop I believe all the flaps were under.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 M1 or not?  

You can see in this picture the loop flap on the m75 is over the top and the mark circled looks to be where the metal piece was attached.

Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 M1 or not?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Ww2 M1 or not? 

that white spot is a bit of paint, which can be found all over the helmet
    mostly on the rear, together with some red paint scrapes (possible some sort of decal, i dont know)

Also, the other side does not have this..

?

I would suggest a quick look through this thread Rough guide to the US M-1, M-2 & M-1C shell it contains some good info about US made M1's but in my opinon this is not a WW2 shell maybe not even US unless you can find a heat stamp number.

Sadly i cant find any information that would say what this helmet is or isn't.

Again, i can faintly see numbers in the helmet, 625 (and 1 other number after, either 0 3 8 or 9, can only see the top of it)
    sadly too faint to get on camera without having a multi-thousand dollar camera

Rub some chalk or baby power on the numbers

?

But you can see numbers stamped into the shell which is a good sign that it is atleast a US shell at least.

Here are 2 pictures, 1 is untouched, 1 has the numbers roughly drawn over
    Blue is the parts that cant be seen in the pic, and the last number isn't visible except for what's drawn in red

Could the factory worker have messed up while heatstamping the helmet making it a very faint stamp?

for some reason the untouched pic is sideways, dont know why as it originally is the right side up on my phone from which i uploaded it..

also yes, i've tried chalk but to no success sadly
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 M1 or not?   Ww2 M1 or not?  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast