Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US civil defense helmet used in tropics?

Article about: Hello I would really like to know if this helmet was used in the tropics during wwii. The person who sold it to me said it is a us civil defense helmet that was used in the tropics during ww

?

Default WW2 US civil defense helmet used in tropics?

Hello
    I would really like to know if this helmet was used in the tropics during wwii. The person who sold it to me said it is a us civil defense helmet that was used in the tropics during wwii. Inside the helmet the word us governmet is engraved in it and below that the word roberts is engraved. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank-You
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US civil defense helmet used in tropics?   WW2 US civil defense helmet used in tropics?  

?

Default Re: wwii us civil defense helmet used in tropics?

Look under the brim, it should have the letters OCD next to the "Property Of U.S. Govt." Stamp. This stands for "Office Of Civil Defense". Doubtful that it got any farther than the weekly drill of civil defense volunteers during WWII. I think your seller spun a good but, false story.

it could have been used by MERCHANT MARINE in the tropics as a hard hat during loading / un loading of heavy equipment and supplies from cargo ships that brought supplies to the tropics.

but it was most likely just used as a civil defense helmet in the USA or stored in bomb shelters , these types of helmets were still in use during the 1960's for air raid shelters.

a helmet like this is of very low value maybe $5.00 - $10.00 at a flea market / swap meet.

heres a Civil Defense Air Raid Warden wearing the same type of helmet.

New Civil Defence
    ?

Default Re: WW2 US civil defense helmet used in tropics?

If it was produced by the office of civil Defense it probably did not leave the US if it was a US civil Defense issued helmet. The person who sold it to you conned you or did not know any thing about Civil Defense

Default Re: WW2 US civil defense helmet used in tropics?

i also think its doubtfull it left mainland america i quite like these helmets and have a red cd one myself