Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.

Article about: I wonder if someone can help me out with the ID of this helmet. British or Canadian? Model? There are no markings that I can find on the shell of the helmet. The liner is quite brittle so I

drm2m
    ?

Default WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.

I wonder if someone can help me out with the ID of this helmet.

British or Canadian? Model?

There are no markings that I can find on the shell of the helmet.

The liner is quite brittle so I don’t want to bend it up to look for markings on the liner frame.

I assume this helmet is WWII.

I can’t remember where and when I got this helmet, I have not looked at this piece for “many” years….I just did the photos today as I was photographing some other stuff.

I reviewed many previous threads on the forum relating to these helmets….and I suspect it is Canadian…however rather than guessing and breaking my head, I thought I would seek the expertise from forum members that are far more savvy in this subject than I am.

Thanks for your help.

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.   WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.  

Default Re: WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.

Hi David, try and very carefully look at the liner. There should be some markings on one of the four arms which form the cradle. They will be neaar the central rubber crown pad.

It is a WW2 helmet.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.

As for date .. I'd guess between 39 and 43 ... seeing that it has the larger fixing screw for the liner ..

Gary J.

drm2m
    ?

Ade and Gary J.

Thanks for your comments.

David

?

the liner fixing screw is the wrong way round,nice looking lid rgds Dave

Hello david,
    This is a Canadian helmet. A MkII of WW2. You should be able to discern the production code. It is placed on the inside near the rear edge. A few letters pressed in the steel. Something like GSW or CC/L or so and a year.

Let us know!
    Cheers,
    Emile

Hi David,
    On the other hand I am not so sure anymore.

Quite sure about the Canadian liner, chinstrap post and top screw (indeed wrong way round). The paint is late war Canadian also. If you'd look at the arms of the liner (as Ade suggests) you'd find the producer, possibly Viceroy. If the liner crackels that does not mean it will damage. I have one as well and this helmet has never been damaged. Ideally you would have to reverse the top screw anyway!

There is some doubt about the helmet shell itself. You could measure the width of the rim, from the edge of the bowl to the crimped on rim. If the sides are broader than the rear and front, you'd have a converted WW1 helmet. In Britain these were labeled MkI*. I am not sure about Canada's nomenclature in these cases.

Cheers,
    Emile

drm2m
    ?

Thanks sscrooge and Emile.

I shall take a much closer look at this helmet based on your suggestions.

David

By the look of the clipped corner chinstrap lugs, I would say Canadian for sure. Wouldn't worry about the securing bolt, I have seen several bolted in like that. My Grandfathers Mk.II being one of them.

It was a common practice to secure the liner that way when the helmet had a cover of some sort that would make access to the top of the helmet difficult...like a hessian cover or no.2 gas hood with the cape cut off(like my Grandfathers had). Then removal of the liner could be done without removing the cover.

Dale

drm2m
    ?

Thanks Dale.

I finally got some photos that show the markings.
    The date appears to be 1941 with what looks like a CL/C marking on the helmet and a VMC marking on one arm of the liner cradle.

Thanks for all the help.

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.   WWII British or Canadian helmet? ----Help requested. Photos attached.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast