Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

12 pounder cannon

Article about: i'm glad you folks like the cannon. i'm not a model builder usually. i dont think i put together many model kit's even as a kid. i have made a few knives over the years, mostly for throwing.

?

Default Re: 12 pounder cannon

i'm glad you folks like the cannon. i'm not a model builder usually. i dont think i put together many model kit's even as a kid. i have made a few knives over the years, mostly for throwing. this knife i'll show pictures of i made many years ago. it just hangs on the wall as decoration. but it has a full tang an inch wide all through the grip. the blade is an old heavy duty file made by Othelo oddly enough. when i saw it i knew i had to make a blade from it. i ground the blade by hand with a disk grinder and sander. the cross guard was just heated and bent to shape. ( the concept was a cross between an SA style blade and something sort of midevil ) the wood is hickory from an axe handle. copper pipe flattend out for the butt plate. i got some leather and made the sheath for it. a friend worked at an electro plating plant and plated it for free. rust never sleeps.
    the only other things i make are things carved from stone, not sure this would the right place for those pics. but i'll add one ( the snake) there are many hours in the snake. scratch by scratch no power tools used for the carving.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 12 pounder cannon   12 pounder cannon  

12 pounder cannon   12 pounder cannon  

Hi Andrew,
    Great work on the knife i love the way you have used the file to keep the pattern on the blade,. It looks medieval in design, or Saxon. The snake i love it, good piece of carving what stone do you use, is it local to you. the detail is very good, i have two snakes here, they are Western hognose you will know of them
    one is male and the other female, the female is 39,1/4 " long
    i think a record for a captive hognose, the official record is 36". The male is only 18" long, Thanks for showing your work im
    most impressed.
    Dave.

?

Bumping an older thread because I just love this thing. When I first viewed pics (at another site) I did not pick up on the scale clues and thought I was looking at a full sized cannon. Blew my mind when I saw how small it was.

Very nice work.

I tried to make a sterling engine once out of a tuna can. Not a pretty site and lacking the craftsmanship evident here. I did get it to make a few revolutions but had to crank the heat up so high the balsa wood piston caught fire and that was that.

Let me know if you make another an want to sell it.

Andrew,your just plain too modest! Great work! Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2