Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

6 Pdr. Cannon

Article about: NOW THIS IS A CANNON,my neighbor had a 18 inch brass barrel, so I built him a carriage,the wheels are easy,I just use a hole saw,perfectly round with the axle hole already in it.Those are so

?

Default Re: 6 Pdr. Cannon

NOW THIS IS A CANNON,my neighbor had a 18 inch brass barrel, so I built him a carriage,the wheels are easy,I just use a hole saw,perfectly round with the axle hole already in it.Those are some great models you have built.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 6 Pdr. Cannon  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi guys,
    The deck cannons are really good they take some making, It takes something to get the proportions right as well or the barrels look to heavy. Nice cannon Pete, and Guy what a collection of cannons, they are awesome, that small one would beat me i think
    are they all turned brass?, wonderfull job.
    dave.

Hello Dave,
    The tiny cannon is rough and ready when you look closely, just a novelty really.
    Caliber is 0.95mm, and the touch hole 0.45mm. I wont be making any more of them!
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Thanks Raymond,
    Yes they can be a bit fiddly, do you have a lathe in Kiwiland? I find it very therapeutic, but can be frustrating.
    All best,
    Guy.
    Hi ya mate , no lathe for me , but later on if one came my way i would grab it , i do a bit of sculpture when i get a chance , which isnt much at the moment , i find it very relaxing and injoyable , cheers Raymond

Quote by ironcross1 View Post
    Hi ya mate , no lathe for me , but later on if one came my way i would grab it , i do a bit of sculpture when i get a chance , which isnt much at the moment , i find it very relaxing and injoyable , cheers Raymond
    Hello Raymond,
    Here's a picture of the small lathe I use at present. Don't panic, the syringe contains cutting fluid!
    Although this is very useful I would like one with a longer bed, only about 12" with this one. But I should be grateful that I have one at all, it was given to me by a good old shipmate who sadly has gone out with the tide. We made sure of that by sending his ashes down the Bristol Channel, it's what he wanted.
    As for sculpture, I've always been fascinated by it but havn't a clue how to start. The only things I've made like that were some walnut grips for a Smith & Wesson revolver. We are no longer allowed to compete with pistols over here so all I have are some pictures and a short article I wrote for a shooting magazine ages ago.
    About time to get my head on the pillow as it's nearly 0400 over here. I wish I were in the sunshine on your part of the globe.
    All best,
    Guy.

Hi Guy,
    That is a nice piece of kit your old mate would be pleased that you use it, Im glad he had the send off he wanted, cant ask for more.
    You do some lovely work there mate im impressed with the connon barrels. I think it,s good to see the skills of people put to use, some dont bother and the skills get lost in time, I dont have a work shop anymore just a small type of shed and some of my tools that i need. most are now put away as i cant work now,
    I had a bad break down a few yeas ago and it left me with M.E,
    so i only do bits and bobs. I was a carpenter and joiner, but now other things keep me busy ( when im awake lol.) keep up the good work.
    dave.

Hello again Dave,
    Thanks for your kind comments. I believe every man should have a shed, I think I inherited that from my Dad. In the 50's he used to repair just about everything, including our shoes. When I wanted a fishing rod he made me a great one from an ex government tank aerial. There were many WD surplus stores in Portsmouth then.
    When I had to very reluctantly move ashore from my last boat I found myself in a flat with a spare bedroom which was instantly turned into a workroom. Because I had to use a wheelchair all the time then my Son was terrifically helpful and fitted large work surfaces and shelves for me. I seemed to have so much space, (compared to the confines of a boat), but as I'm sure you know "Tools and materials multiply proportionately to the available space", so now I have to be ruthless and stop being such a magpie. I'ts so difficult to throw away something that "May be useful"!
    That's how I was able to indulge myself in militaria, restoration, modelmaking etc. I wish you well, even "bit's and bob's" are theraputic. Here's a picture of a French 81mm, part mortar which I tidied up to make a useful flower vase. The revolver is a French pin fire 7mm Lefaucheux type made in Liege Belgium.
    Very best wishes,
    Guy.

Hi, Guy,
    Thats a good use of an old mortar shell, thats using your noggin
    isnt it and i love the pistol i have not long sold a belgium .32 rim fire
    pocket pistol obsolete calibre. I know what you mean about our dads mine did the same type of things, even with the shoes i
    think the thing they used was called a shoe last?. And repairing
    every thing, they could make ends meet beter than we can today i think. But they were the old school, and had a harder life.
    Regards dave.

Hello Dave,
    You are absolutely right, the shoe repairing thing was made of cast iron and called a 'last', it had three sizes depending on which way you stood it on the bench. Men, Women, and Children. The smell of horse glue is still in my mind. I lost Dad's one whilst using it as an anchor for a small boat on a tidal river, I expect to get a slap when I catch up with him!
    What do you think of my Christmas card, the caption is " A better way to enjoy the glorious 12th". I expect, as usual, it's politically incorrect, what a daft phrase that is?
    All best,
    Guy.

Awesome stuff guy , great to see your mate got his final wish forfilled.
    cheers Raymond

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2