Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Article about: After the Panther I started this new build, another Golden Oldie from Tamiya: The Horch S.Gl. Einheits Personenkraftwagen 4x4 Type 1a. That means it's a 4x4 personnel carrier with a standard

Default Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

After the Panther I started this new build, another Golden Oldie from Tamiya: The Horch S.Gl. Einheits Personenkraftwagen 4x4 Type 1a. That means it's a 4x4 personnel carrier with a standardized body (also used by Steyr) which could be adapted to fulfill a plethora of functions.

I started by building what I could before painting, and then sprayed the car and various parts that have to be painted separately before they can be fixed in acrylic grey primer. For this I use a rattle can of the Spectrum-brand, sold by the Action chainstores that are well-known in a number of European countries. This primer is cheap and I found it perfectly usable for models with good coverage and quick drying if applied in light coats:

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

This one will be finished in German grey and since the setting will be Russia, winter 1942-'43 it will get a winter white wash after that so it will have the full top and side screens in place. I started with painting the top and side screens in Vallejo Elfenbein mixed with a few drops of Vallejo Dark Green. I then applied highlights with Elfenbein and shadows with Elfenbein mixed with a few drops of Dark Grey. The pic is not super but effect is subtle and quite nice in real:

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

I am very busy at work during the week so I can only do some modelling in the weekends for now. The Horch is now in its base colour of Vallejo 71.054 Dark Grey Blue, and even though it will get a worn winter camouflage with the hairspray-technique I will highlight and weather it a bit first, as it is good practise anyway and some of it will show up when the winter camo is weathered.

No mud though, as I doubt there was much liquid mud in -30...

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

For the seats I used a mixture of Dark Blue Grey, Elfenbein and Dunkel Grün in about equal parts, that was thickly applied with a brush to simulate a canvas texture with slight creasing:

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

As I got some dry-tip near the end of the spraying session I got some drops on the floor, but those will be hidden from view. Lesson learned is to add some retarder if I have to spray bigger areas.

Looking good. From what i have read these Horch vehicles were very reliable and also very good off-road.

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Based on this pic I decided to give it a field-applied camouflage of Dunkelgelb over the grey in thinner lines, as was more often seen in 1942. The result was OK-ish at best but again good practice:

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

I played a bit with distance and air pressure, but more practice is required to get a more consistent result. part of this camo will be visible again when the winter wash is weathered so I thought it would be a nice touch. Next is some medium- to heavy chipping (this vehicle would have been in use for 2 years by now) and a coat of varnish.

Very nice and i like the camo. I've not built any models for about 25 years but i've got my eye on a 1/35th scale Pz.Kpfw.35(t).

Good old 1/35th Tamiya! I have one of those built up in the attic, along with others from my youth. Back in the days when a Tamiya 1/35 tank could be had for £3.50.

Regards

Martin

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Very nice and i like the camo. I've not built any models for about 25 years but i've got my eye on a 1/35th scale Pz.Kpfw.35(t).
    What's keeping you? Get a cheap airbrush and compressor from AliExpress, some paints, watch a few tutorials on youtube and you'll be good to go!

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    Good old 1/35th Tamiya! I have one of those built up in the attic, along with others from my youth. Back in the days when a Tamiya 1/35 tank could be had for £3.50.

Regards

Martin
    This one was a bit more but the older, basic Tamiya kits aren't that expensive and good for starters like me. I actually got mine from modelhobbies.co.uk and I'm happy with this supplier. They manage to ship from the UK to The Netherlands for less than what they charge here for domestic mail. I also buy stuff locally, to support the last modelshop left in my town. After the Horch I have 2 German halftracks waiting...

Time for the wintercoat. First I applied 2 thin layers of hairspray (the cheapest I could find) and let those dry; it made the model quite glossy:

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

I then sprayed a thin coat of white mixed with a drop of Elfenbein over the whole vehicle. This coat was thin enough that you could still see the camouflage paint underneath:

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

After that dried I started scrubbing with a wet toothbrush. I found out that if the brush is too wet with this cheap hairspray, it will immediately take off whole sections of white but if it's just a bit moist it works pretty well. For smaller nooks & crannies I used a moist stiff brush and with a toothpick I created some smaller random scratches.

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

The next step was to apply 2 more thin coats of hairspray and let those dry, followed by another very thin, misted coat of pure white this time. This again was then treated again with the moist toothbrush, concentrating on sections that weren't scratched before. This creates some depth to the paintwork and you can repeat this process as often as you want, but I think 2 is enough here.

I cut what would be the area the windshield wipers would reach from tpe and put that on the windshield. I scraped some white pastel chalk and mixed that with a few drops of water, and applied the chalky paste with a brush in a dapple motion of all the windows. After letting it dry I removed the tape from the windshield and used a dry, stiff brush to remove most of the paste from the other windows, leaving plenty of it near the edges to create the impression of a snowy, frozen window that is quickly cleaned by hand.

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

Tamiya Horch 4x4 Type 1a

I'm thinking about a applying a light brown wash to finish it. haven't decided if i should use the figure either, as he wears a smock which would be incorrect for winter.