Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tamiya Sd.Kfz.171 Panther Ausf. A

Article about: First let me state that I'm a beginning modeller, so don't expect absolute perfection

?

I had to zoom in to see the blue eyes.
    Nice

Semper Fi
    Phil

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

It has arrived and it only took almost 2 months!

And I used it today for the first time! The base coat is Vallejo Model Air 71.025 Dark Yellow / Dunkelgelb. I sprayed the wheels individually and then painted the rubber by hand with Vallejo Model Air 71.055 Black-Grey, after which I put them on the model.

I then applied the camouflage, starting with Vallejo Model Air 71.041Armour Brown / Rotbraun, followed by Vallejo Model Air 71.011Dark Green / Dunkelgrün. It looks adequate although I'm hindered a bit that my compressor doesn't have an pressure gauge and I need to do it by guess. Maybe I'll enlarge a few of the brown patches slightly. The next step will be applying decals, sealing everything with a varnish and then I can think about weathering.

?

Did you do the green and Brown free hand? Good work! Keep posting

Yes, I did it free hand. After making these pics I did enlarge some of the brown patches a bit as they were a lot thinner than the green patches at some areas.

Great job, looks good. How difficult was the spray gun? Did you do some test runs first?

Are you going to age it after this?

nick

Drill a hole and put a pin through the exhaust ends like Ralph did.
    You don't want any toy soldiers popping a grenade down there ....do you?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Drill a hole and put a pin through the exhaust ends like Ralph did.
    You don't want any toy soldiers popping a grenade down there ....do you?
    I'll make sure they stay on another shelf

Yesterday I applied the decals and fixed them with Vallejo Decal Fix and Softener on areas I first varnished with satin varnish. As I want a Normandy setting I opted for the 2nd Panzer Division; a decal for this unit was provided but I modified another decal and used that instead; everyone else seems to use the LSSAH option anyway.

After the decals had dried I varnished the whole model and applied some Vallejo 71.075 Elfenbein (Ivory) from about 30 cm away to give a dusty effect. After that had dried the actual weathering began by brushing a coat of heavily thinned (90%) Vallejo Smoke 70.939. This gives the model a very slightly darker, dirty look. I then applied a pinwash with a home-made mix of heavily thinned brown and black oilpaints, as my local modelshop was out of of the Tamiya panel line accent products. I have never used them but the results in various youtube vids seems spectacular. I am relatively satisfied with the results of my homebrew mix though.

Next comes chipping, weathering of the exhaust and playing with the tracks.

I have to ask this general modeling question as I used to build these models back during the 1970s ...and much has improved over the years in detail , assembly , quality and modification.

Question : this is beyond me ..but I have noticed in modeling of these armored vehicles in the assembly and modification stage ...what is the use of the brass like material seen on certain parts and details ?
    Why the use of Brass?

I stopped making models in the late 70s and began to pursue playing the drums and women with lovely attributes.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast