Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

The Battle of Wolchow (Volkhov) near Lake Ladoga (Leningrad) in July 1943.

Article about: The Battle of Wolchow (Volkhov) near Lake Ladoga (Leningrad) in July 1943. (Nb. Yes, we do know the Soviet soldier has his helmet on back to front) By utilizing the help of a Russian prisone

?

Default The Battle of Wolchow (Volkhov) near Lake Ladoga (Leningrad) in July 1943.

The Battle of Wolchow (Volkhov) near Lake Ladoga (Leningrad) in July 1943.

(Nb. Yes, we do know the Soviet soldier has his helmet on back to front)
    By utilizing the help of a Russian prisoner with medical knowledge, the Wehrmacht Sanitäter gives first aid to a wounded soldier in battle. They are seen using an improvised stretcher to take him to a dressing station at the rear, to get more treatment.
    The location is in the swamp area of Lake Ladoga (northern Russia) which became a fierce battleground in the month of July 1943.
    "I think it was the 3rd of July 1943. Another hour later we had reached the slopes of the foot of the Heights of Patschino. No one made a sound, it was completely silent. We were to attack without any artillery support which I think was a mistake. Its was pitch dark and we could barely see the details of the slope in front of us. The frst group fanned out and started its advance, our group following behind. First our plan seemed to be a great success, we had take the Soviets by suprise. The first and second line of trenches were taken in hand-to-hand combat. From my position in second group I could see the flamethrowers to their work. A gruesome sight, bright jets of flame illuminating thick oily clouds of smoke. My group now entered the trenches the first group had taken and set up our machine guns to be able to repel the expected soviet counter-attack.
    Initially we had attacked with over 500 men. Believe me, at this moment there were no more than 100 still alive. I fell back towards the main force. When I arrived I met two soldiers of my company, which was down to only 5 men! All officers and NCOs had been wounded or killed which effectualy gave me command of the company. Together with my two comrades we fled. We ran like hares. Mortar and artillery shells exploding around us, bullets whistling around our ears. I will never forget the sights of that hellish inferno. I was running and jumping over the dead bodies of my fallen comrades which seemed to lying everywhere, when a mortar shell exploded next to me. I dont remember a lot of what followed but some splinters had hit my face and arm. I was nearly deaf from the explosion and must have passed out. I woke at the main dressing station. My two comrades had carried me back, all the way. I am glad that all this over. War is such a terrible thing.”
    (Herr Gustav Römer - IR506 of the 291st Division)

(Photo by SS-Kriegsberichter Wisniewski, Nord 1942-1943, Brigade Nederland 1944, holder of the Iron Cross II)

(Colorised by Bill at Wwiicolor Izer)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Battle of Wolchow (Volkhov) near Lake Ladoga (Leningrad) in July 1943.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Battle of Wolchow (Volkhov) near Lake Ladoga (Leningrad) in July 1943.
    P
    Many

?

On this site some nice colourisation has been done to many photos , this is part of an excellent series of photos shot on the Wolchow showing the actual fighting.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Fighting in the Wolchow !!

A link to some of the same series !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I am not able to invest in anything related to my collecting addiciton nowadays- so instead of buying less expencive militaria i do not find interesting, i am looking at photos... The photos i find interesting i share with others with the same addiction as me.

Not as rewarding as opening a parcel i must admit. But better than nothing

Thank you for posting this interesting information, very much appreciated...When I was about 12 years old (living in Germany) I had to spend a few weeks in the hospital, and the elderly gentleman in the bed next to mine had been a Soldat in the 100,000 Man Reichswehr before serving in the Wehrmacht Artillery as a Senior NCO...He showed me the specks of Shrapnel still embedded in his lower leg/calve, wounds received on the Leningrad Front...We spent most of our time talking about his military experiences, which made our hospital-stay much more pleasant and entertaining, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Sounds like awesome reading. Anyone know of any book titles dealing with the fighting in this area of Russia. Like to read books covering individual battles lately.