Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone tell me if any of these people in this photo are "famous" or "infamous!"

Article about: Trying to determine if anyone in this photo might be identifiable? They may not be "famous/infamous" but just wanted to see if anyone recognized a face?

Default Can anyone tell me if any of these people in this photo are "famous" or "infamous!"

Trying to determine if anyone in this photo might be identifiable? They may not be "famous/infamous" but just wanted to see if anyone recognized a face?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone tell me if any of these people in this photo are "famous" or "infamous!"   Can anyone tell me if any of these people in this photo are "famous" or "infamous!"  

Can anyone tell me if any of these people in this photo are "famous" or "infamous!"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone tell me if any of these people in this photo are "famous" or "infamous!"
    P
    Many

?

Hi July!
    Nice photo, but the majority of soldiers in it are Army NCOs and privates, including a few bandsmen, and, therefore, generally of too low a rank and position to be anyone ‘infamous’ (these were usually the nasty political types and a few high ranking officers). There is one officer standing next to the civilian, though again, nobody I recognise.
    That said, it is always a possibility that some may have achieved ‘fame’, through their exploits in the field, although I don’t recognise any well known personalities here.

I trust you will forgive my somewhat simplistic answer.
    It is, nevertheless, a very nice photo with some interesting uniform details (early-style officers’ tunic, for example).

My very best wishes,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your reply! That is interesting about the tunics... I'm not very knowledgeable about WWII German uniforms so clearly I've come to the right place! Appreciate your time I have many other snapshots like this from German wartime albums, may have to get your input on a few others...

Regards,
    Jean

?

Many thanks, Jean. You’re very kind and most welcome.
    There are many others here, far better qualified than I, but I certainly look forward to seeing some more of your photographs.
    You will find answers to most of your questions on this great forum... if not all.
    You made an excellent choice in joining.

All the best,
    Bob

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Nice photo, but the majority of soldiers in it are Army NCOs and privates, including a few bandsmen, and, therefore, generally of too low a rank and position to be anyone ‘infamous’
    I don’t know. Willy Herold was pretty infamous and he was only a corporal.

?

So was Adolf!

Quote by christek View Post
    I don’t know. Willy Herold was pretty infamous and he was only a corporal.
    A private actually, but who would recognize him in a group photograph?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    A private actually, but who would recognize him in a group photograph?
    Interesting. I have read he was promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded the Iron Cross First Class for actions in Italy.

Quote by christek View Post
    Interesting. I have read he was promoted to the rank of corporal and awarded the Iron Cross First Class for actions in Italy.
    Like Hitler, he was a Gefreiter. It is often translated as "corporal" in English-language material, but this is actually a private rank (and not even the most senior one).

(Under the modern-day NATO standard rank scale, a Gefreiter is rated as an OR-2.)

Yes, I think thats quite right. There is confusion over how to translate Gefreiter, and which rank it is equivilant to. You could argue it is similar to a lance corporal, (especially as they wore one chevron like a lance Corporal in some other armies), but the modern official NATO translation is a private, albeit one with seniority.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast