Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Comemmoration of over 900 Flemish civilians killed by friendly fire.

Article about: Hello, In 1944, allied bombers killed more french civilians than the Lutfwaffe killed british civilians in the entire war...between 42,000 and 45,000 deaths according to the latest estimatio

Default Comemmoration of over 900 Flemish civilians killed by friendly fire.

On the 5 th of april 1943 the German Erla airplane factory in Mortsel (primary Minerva automobile factory)was a bombing target by the Allieds.
    But all bombers missed theyre target, killig over 900 Flemish civilians living in the village surrounding the factory.
    I spended a great time of my life in and near Mortsel, the story has always been very ..."alive"...
    Commermoration is taking place all week end long.
    |<ris
    Mortsel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Foto's van de bombardementen te Mortsel ( ERLA FABRIEKEN ) op 5 april 1943
    "Bombardment 5th April 1943" Mortsel Travelogue by irisbe
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Comemmoration of over 900 Flemish civilians killed by friendly fire.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Comemmoration of over 900 Flemish civilians killed by friendly fire.

A sad incident which i knew nothing of, thanks for posting!...

Default Re: Comemmoration of over 900 Flemish civilians killed by friendly fire.

The incident was only internationaly recognized somewhere around 2003, if I remember exactly.
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    The incident was only internationaly recognized somewhere around 2003, if I remember exactly.
    |<
    You have done your part in bringing it to the attention of plenty of people here Kris, and for that you can be proud. Well done and thank you for posting the links to the commemoration of this tragedy.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks Kris.

I would echo Paul and Carl's comments.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have never heard of this. That is really sad, but at that time our bombs are not like they are now.

From Alex

A terrible tragedy Kris, thank you for bringing this to the forefront of our minds

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That is a terrible tragedy, thanks for bringing it to our attention Kris.

There seems to be a original pic for sale on ebay related to the tragedy;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Comemmoration of over 900 Flemish civilians killed by friendly fire.  

cheers
    |<ris

Friendly fire is never friendly. But these things did happen more often, and I know of some occasions in Belgium where civilians got killed by the allied bombing raids that totaly missed target.
    One story that stuck in my head happend just on the Dutch - Belgian border near the village of Watervliet where the allies accidently bombed a wrong farm. I have been at the scene where it happend, and have spoken to the farmer whom was a little boy when this tradegy occurded. They had to knock out a farm wich housed generators for the German search lights, but bombed the hell out of the neighbours. Unlucky but that farm was full of refugees. Hunderds died inside the farm, burnt to death. Like I said I have been on that spot on some occassions, of course its rebuilt after the war, only a small stone reminds one of the tradegy that happend there.
    Another story of the Americans bombing a wrong target in Belgium was the bombing of a tram full of refugees in the town Maldegem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast