Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Deutsche Dienststelle Record

Article about: Hello everyone! A LONG time ago I contacted the Deutsche Dienststelle in an effort to find out more about my ancestor's involvement in the military. Well today, unexpectedly, I got an email

?

Default Deutsche Dienststelle Record

Hello everyone!
    A LONG time ago I contacted the Deutsche Dienststelle in an effort to find out more about my ancestor's involvement in the military. Well today, unexpectedly, I got an email back with some information! If my translation is correct, it would appear that there is an "identification tag" provided (see highlighted section of document). Is this some sort of serial number personal to my ancestor (Hans), and would I be able to use this number for further research? Please correct me if I am wrong about anything!

Thank you!
    Bodey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deutsche Dienststelle Record  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deutsche Dienststelle Record
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Yes, Erkennungsmarke translated to the American armed forces means "dog tag". It appears he was in the 2nd battery of Artillery replacement battalion 225. German dogtags were unit dependent, unlike my American Army one which had my SSN but no unit. Each company (battery in this case) had a Stammrolle which was a unit roster. Each soldier had a roster number. The roster number was stamped on the dog tag so when the dog tag was compared with the Stammrolle, the solider's name would be revealed. It appears he had a very low number of "4" if I am reading that correctly.

I can translate the whole document for you if needed.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

It says they cannot find anything on the first name.

Second name:

1st world war
    Service Entry 31 July 1917
    Unit
    according to report dated 16 August 1917: 2nd battery replacement field artillery regiment Zossen (town South of Berlin)
    Hospital stay
    16-27 August 1917 Reserve hospital base, railway regiment 1 in the Schoeneberg district of Berlin.

2nd World War
    Service entry date: Not entered (data not entered)
    Dog tag (we covered that)
    Unit:
    according to two reports (dates given) 2nd battery replacement artillery regiment 225
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Thank you very much!

TWS
    ?

No problem. Glad to be of assistance.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

It looks as though Hans was almost immediately hospitalised after joining Ersatz Feldartillerie Rgt Zossen. I had a trawl through the database but there are no other casualties from that unit on that date so I would say he was taken ill rather than being injured as the result of combat.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    It looks as though Hans was almost immediately hospitalised after joining Ersatz Feldartillerie Rgt Zossen. I had a trawl through the database but there are no other casualties from that unit on that date so I would say he was taken ill rather than being injured as the result of combat.
    my grandfather (who unfortunately has a failing memory) once told me that Hans lost an arm, but obviously if this was the case, he would not have participated in WW2..

It is possible that he was injured as the result of an accident, but without more evidence it is difficult to fill in the gaps with only guesses.

Quote by Bodey View Post
    my grandfather (who unfortunately has a failing memory) once told me that Hans lost an arm, but obviously if this was the case, he would not have participated in WW2..
    Why couldn't he have lost the arm in WW2?

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Why couldn't he have lost the arm in WW2?
    It is very possible that he did! I am just going off family story.. My grandfather had only mentioned ww1, but obviously as the record shows, Hans participated in ww2 as well. I will attempt to do more research to see if we cannot find out more!