Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.

Article about: Hello forum, Today i need help on a very special topic, after months of waiting, the German Bundesarchiv has finally send me copies of the documents of my Great- grandfather and uncle, who b

Default Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.

Hello forum,

Today i need help on a very special topic, after months of waiting, the German Bundesarchiv has finally send me copies of the documents of my Great- grandfather and uncle, who both served in WW2 in the Wehrmacht.

The service History of my Great-Grandfather Wilhelm Schmidt, born on 31.May.1913, with the EKM (–539 –2./I. E. B. 163) should be this:

2. Kompanie Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 163, Eschwege /1940
    1. Kompanie Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 163, Eschwege /1940
    2. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 163 /1940
    2. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 355 /1940
    2. Kompanie, II Battalion, Grenadier-Regiment 355 /October 1940 - Otober 1943
    -> In these he was Kradfmelder with the Rank of Obergefreiter

Stab. II Battalion-Infanterie-Regiment 937 /October 1943 - October 1944
    -> Now he was LKW and Kraddriver

Prisoner of War, captured in the Netherlands / 10. October 1944 - 15. April 1948

I have already searched the Internet on the History of these Units (interestingly enough i even found a Norwegian Group reeanacting my great grandfathers Unit), and ordered a Book listing Information about the Wehrmacht Units in WW2, which should include the ones in which he served, but i would be very greatful about any more information about these Units, maybe even the place where they fought when he became Prisoner of war. I would be very greatful for any Information on the exact places he would have probably been (The online sources are pretty vague) and in general, all Info that could shine more light on his service!

I would also like to know if you can read any additional Information on these Documents i got about him, as for me it is quiet hard to read the handwriting:
    Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.

The other Person researched was his brother, Georg Schmidt, born on 15.January.1905, with the EKM (–8695 –3./Ldsch. E. B. 9).

His service History acording to the Bundesarchiv is:

3. Kompanie Landesschützen-Ersatz-Bataillon 9 /1942
    3. Kompanie Landesschützen-Ersatz-Bataillon 9 /1942
    verstärktes Kriegsgefangenen-Arbeits-Bataillon 182 /1942
    verstärktes Kriegsgefangenen-Arbeits-Bataillon 182 /1943
    Landesschützen-Bataillon 717 (Landes-schützen-Bataillon XVII/XI) /1943

In Opposite to my Great-grandfather, there is no information of him getting captured, so he probably just came home after the war? I could find way less on his Units online, but i understand that him being part of a "verstärktes Kriegsgefangenen-Arbeits-Battalion" which seems to have been consited of Russian Prisoners of War building streets in Norway means he probably was involved in the more gruesome parts of the german War Machinery, to say it as nice as possible? I also have a document in Hand writing i would ask your help in deciphering about him:

Based on the Information on my Great-grandfather, i have now the idea to make my first mannakin a Kradmelder arround 1940-41, so any information, books etc. that could help me research the exact equipment needed for such a display would be greatly appreciated!

In hope of more information, and a big thanks to everyone who can help me just a little!

Regards,
    Adravor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.
    P
    Many

Infanterie Regiment 937 was part of the 245th Infantry Division was formed on 8 July 1943 as a static infantry division in the Rouen area in occupied France. It initially consisted of the Grenadier Regiments 935, 936 and 937, as well as the Artillery Regiment 245. The division's initial commander was Erwin Sander.

The division was in the Fécamp area during the beginning of the Allied Operation Overlord. While it did not fight the Allies immediately, it saw combat during the Allied drive into the Low Countries. In September 1944, it was in the Arnhem area Between 2 October and 8 November, the 245th Division fought in the Battle of the Scheldt. It was briefly withdrawn from the frontline to be reinforced, but returned to face U.S. 3rd Army forces before the end of the year 1944. It fought in northern Alsace in early 1945, and was once again sent to the reserves to be reinforced on 1 March 1945. It surrendered to British forces in the Schleswig-Holstein area.

Exemplar Kradmelder picture from the net:

These people might be able to help you with deciphering the handwriting and seem to be quite local to you on the Siegfried line.

Aachener Sutterlingruppe hilft bei "Ubersetzung"!

Also, have you been on the lexicon der wehrmacht site? they are quite good.

Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Here is some information Infanterie Regiment/Grenadier Regiment 355 of the 214 Infanterie Division.

214. Infanterie-Division

It looks like Wilhelm was ill and spent time in hospital.

Armee-Feldlazarett 636 FPN 09849
    - Some kind of flu (Grippe)

FELDPOST FPN 21387 Reserve Lazarett XXII Wien
    - bronchial catarrh

Dear Sir. I have got some info. on the 182nd. battalion in Norway. Please look at transport-list, nr. 12. They came there in April and May 1943. This is the area of Lakselv in the county of Troms and Finnmark. The Organisation Todt and Soviet POW were building an airport, Banak near Hamnbukt. Billefjord is in the same area. Building a good road to Karasjok was important also. Many Soviet POW died in this area, because of malnutrition, sicknesses and bad conditions in the barracks. Also some Soviet POW where shot during escape by German guards. I think that the 1./182 stayed in the area until October 1944, when the Germans surrendered the Northern part of Norway bevause of Red army taking eastern part of Finnmark with Kirkenes. Then the guards and Soviet pow were sent south to the county of Nordland. The company were divided between the city of Bodo and the smaller town, Rognan. There they stayed until May 1945. I have some cards with info. about dead Soviet pow. I send one from Billefjord. I do not know why he is listed as being in Landessch. bat. 717 in 1943, maybe he has been sent to a new battalion for a reason. SOme info. here: Landesschützen-Bataillone - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Default Doc.

Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.Help on Information about my Great-Grandfather, and my Great-Granduncle service history.