Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help in reading Death Cards

Article about: Trying to read these death cards on Gerhard Schluter who died on the Russian Front in 1941. I think he was in the 6th Company of the 16th Infantry Regiment. Thanks in advance!

Default Help in reading Death Cards

Help in reading Death CardsHelp in reading Death CardsHelp in reading Death Cards

Trying to read these death cards on Gerhard Schluter who died on the Russian Front in 1941. I think he was in the 6th Company of the 16th Infantry Regiment.
    Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help in reading Death Cards
    P
    Many

Hi there

You have got the regiment spot on.

Gerhard Schlüter

From - Strohausen which is situated nearby to Rodenkirchen in Lower Saxony.

Strohausen - zxc.wiki

Erkennungsmarke -
    1422 - 3./Kompanie Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 16

Ersatz Truppenteil -
    Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 16

Truppenteil -
    6./Kompanie Infanterie Regiment 16

Diestgrad -
    Gefreiter

18th October 1941 he was killed in action by an Infantry bullet to the head.

Gefallen : I. G. K (Infanterie Geschuß Kopf)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in reading Death Cards  
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-10-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Here is how the casualty cards are set out. There are several different layouts but the information on them is basically the same.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in reading Death Cards  

His place of death is recorded as Hünengrab Asiss.

I had a search and found this information -

The "megalithic tomb of Assis" should be located in the area of ​​the Isthmus of Perekop, the northern entrance to the Crimea.

Here is a quote from the Wikipedia entry on the 22nd Infantry Division:

"On October 17, 1941, the division fought for access to the Crimea in the Isthmus of Perekop. ...
    On October 18, 1941, the battalions of the Infantry Regiment 65 penetrated the enemy position system, while the attack of the Infantry Regiment 47 in barbed wire obstacles and heavy defensive fire collapsed. Only a relief attack by the Infantry Regiment 16 makes it possible to storm the hill, which then became known as the "megalithic tomb of Assis".

46. ID (3./Inf. Rgt 72) 04.10.1941 - Einsatzort Assis gesucht = ( Assis auf der Landenge von Perekop) - Einheiten des Heeres - Forum der Wehrmacht

It is mentioned here too
    Asisbiz German 22nd Infantry Division - 22. Infanterie-Division
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-10-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Will, thanks for all this information. You found more than I did. What is amazing is that I have Gerhard's diaries, pictures, and news articles that he collected from his time in the HJ from about 1936 to about 1940 when I guess he went into the Heer. I think it would make a great book if I can get it translated!! The interesting things you find out about these guys!
    Thanks again Will,
    Fred

- - ------- - -

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Here is how the casualty cards are set out. There are several different layouts but the information on them is basically the same.
    Well done Willmore, this deserves to be posted as a sticky somewhere surely?

Quote by lonewolf523 View Post
    Will, thanks for all this information. You found more than I did. What is amazing is that I have Gerhard's diaries, pictures, and news articles that he collected from his time in the HJ from about 1936 to about 1940 when I guess he went into the Heer. I think it would make a great book if I can get it translated!! The interesting things you find out about these guys!
    Thanks again Will,
    Fred
    Hi Fred.

No problem at all and I’m happy to help.

That sounds like a really interesting collection! It might be worth starting a new thread to post what you have and hopefully it can be translated.

I totally agree, it almost brings them to ‘life’ in a way.

For example Gerhards regiment was part of the 22.Infanterie-Division, after the Polish Campaign in late October 1939, the 22.Infanterie-Division was transferred to troop training ground Sennelager where it was trained as an air landing unit, the only one of its kind in the entire German military.
    22.Infanterie-Division - Feldgrau

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    - - ------- - -

Well done Willmore, this deserves to be posted as a sticky somewhere surely?
    Hi BlackCat.

The sticky is a great idea.

I found it here -
    New German WWII Records Added | Fold3 HQ