Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Junkers JU-88 D-1 loss

Article about: My uncle was killed when his JU-88 D-1 crashed while landing in June 1943. He was in a signal regiment prior to being trained as an Air Gunner. Does anyone have knowledge of what his job wou

?

Default Junkers JU-88 D-1 loss

My uncle was killed when his JU-88 D-1 crashed while landing in June 1943. He was in a signal regiment prior to being trained as an Air Gunner. Does anyone have knowledge of what his job would have been while on a mission on a D-1?

The others on the aircraft were listed as a Pilot, Observer, and Wireless Operator. What did an Observer and Wireless Operator do in a reconnaissance mission?

And if anyone else has information to give on the below excerpt, Please let me know. I am new to investigating this information and really would like to do so for my family.

Thanks
    Junkers JU-88 D-1 lossJunkers JU-88 D-1 loss

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Junkers JU-88 D-1 loss
    P
    Many

Flugzeugführer is the Pilot, the one that flies the plane. Flugzeug is AIRPLANE, Führer is LEADER.. So its actually the Airplane-leader

Beobachter is the the Watchman, the one that actually observes / looks - did the recconaissance work, looking down from the air, and telling the Bordfunker what he was actually seeing. That would be the main -man on a Aufklärungs-einsatz (Reconnaissance-mission)

Bordfunker ( "On-board-communicator") is the one on " Bord" of the plain in charge of communication a.k.a trasmitting information thru radio-transmission. The Beobachter (Observer) tells the Bordfunker what he sees / recognizes on ground ( such as bomb damage, potential targets, troop movements, infrastructure or whatever needs to be studied). And the Bordfunker "funks" (tansmits) it down to a control- center on the ground.

And the Bordschütze finally is the one handling the Maschinengewehre ( machineguns) or weapon-systems on board the JU-88, and is mainly in charge of defending the Aircraft from enemy -planes, such as Hurricanes, Spitfires, Mustangs or whoever is posing an aerial thread. If there where no enemy planes, he might have nothing to do during entire mission, but if enemy-fighters show up, he could be the difference of being shot down - or get rid of the enemy and make it home alive..

Most that became Flugzeugführer (a pilot) were promoted to the rank/function
    of Flugkapitän (captain), when flying for the Deutsche Lufthansa for example.
    This person was handed over a so-called "Patent", a letter of appointment.

Just to know: The D-1 was a military plane and was never listed "in stock" for the DLH!

https://www.dd-wast.de/de/startseite.html

Hello!
    You must contact the WAST, it's will be easy, you can proove you are from the family!

Cheers,

Michel
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    https://www.dd-wast.de/de/startseite.html

Hello!
    You must contact the WAST, it's will be easy, you can proove you are from the family!

Cheers,

Michel
    That is an option but as you already have the Wehrpass (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...hrpass-666927/) I don't think they will be able to tell you much that you can't extract from the Wehrpass.