Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

Article about: Hello people! Yesterday i managed to follow one of the many the paths of the retreating Allied forces in Crete from the Northern Chania county all the way to the South and reach one of the m

Default A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

Hello people! Yesterday i managed to follow one of the many the paths of the retreating Allied forces in Crete from the Northern Chania county all the way to the South and reach one of the many extract ways. But let me start from the beginning.

First i went to Maleme Airfield and the Tavronitis river and the Hill 107 after that.
    I had a fast walk inside the airfield area where i got some relics of minor importance (but i'm curious on what they are so i will show them to you if someone can identify any of them).

On the entrance of the airfield was that hawk watching over me (I got a strange vibe from it).

Here are some of the relics i found:

A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

Next stop was the Allied War Cemetery at Suda Bay to pay my respects and keep a promise given to Ben Evans...

A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

The road next lead us inside the massive mountain called Lefka Ori (White Mountains) and we followed the Imbros Gorge. The same path the retreating forces followed. Of course we stopped to Askifou so we could enjoy the impressive collection that Mr. Chatzidakis managed to collect over the years of searching around Crete (i found out during our conversation with Mr. Chatzidakis that we our distant relatives and that alone gave me a big joy).
    Enjoy some of his collection :

A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

After that stop we went out of the gorge were i found laying on top of a metal pole this british helmet (just before the exit of the gorge) :

This is the view that we saw on the outro of the canyon and towards East:

Then we head for Sfakia were we found this monument with two british helmets used as ceremonial vessels :

Next stop was Frangkokastelo:
    A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

That was the last stop and then we had to head home, there was another last surprise though. In a village we found this guy guarding the hills (the owner wanted 2€ for taking a picture of him... WE LAUGHED )

Let me show you something more...
    I have a British neighbor in my village that his father fought here in Crete so he loves my passion! He gave me a nice medal for my collection that belonged to his uncle:

A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

The same guy told me about 2 big guns he had located about 30 years ago. The guns were part of the British installations at the North side of the island. They were placed inside 2 caves of a hill. The caves were connected with an underground staircase. He drew me a map and i headed for that location.
    Here is the view from the outside of the cave:

I went to the entrance of the first cave that i knew from others that the first gun was long gone in order to be sold for metal:

I found the underground staircase and followed it :

A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

...and i reached the exit hoping to find the second gun. But nothing... Not a single piece of it:

...so i enjoyed the view from there and a nice swim under the gun emplacements. Judging by the description of my British friend for their massive size and the weight and size of the single piece i could find when i searched the surrounding area ...

...i came to the conclusion that this gun was gone too. The fragment is like the palm of my hand in size and about 3-4 kg (maybe more). That's a big amount of metal for the locals!

Near my village is this small 'museum' with some interesting items in it's collection:
    A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)
    A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)

(i know he has some fakes )

THAT WAS IT FELLAS! I hope you enjoyed it!

Let me finish with these photos that i got in my village near the sunset hours:

(i hope you don't curse my by now for the long post... i enjoyed each and every encounter that i describe here. i hope that goes for you too)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A long post from Crete! (Ben Evans read this)
    P
    Many

Hi Michael, what a cracking thread, for me it brings back so many memories its great And many thanks for visiting my relative in Suda Bay, very good of you my friend, I owe you a Raki or two
    Ben

Thanks for sharing these interesting photos with us and for giving me a good sense of Crete as it is today in relation to the events of WWII...
    Looks like you made some great memories...
    cheers, Glenn

I'm glad you liked it Ben! Can you tell me more about him? I'd like to know more about him! Any info you can tell... If we ever manage to meet and have a chat Raki would me on me my friend!

Michael, I can tell who his parents, grand parents, great great parents all the way back to when they left England in the 1800's Other than that mate not really as yet, I know all the family history but no detail about the man
    Ben

What i would like to know is his military career and his involvement in the Battle of Crete if you have anything to share! And of course his steps before he end in Crete! I'd love to connect a history to the name!

Excellent thread, thanks for posting

Cheers, Mads

That's an interesting thread and some great photos there, thanks very much for taking the time to share. Great looking hawk too!...

My friend Sean who lives in Xamoudochori knows a retired New Zealand officer who knows the history the NZ forces during the battle of Crete. If I find out anything be sure I will let you know mate
    Ben

Thanks a lot buddy! Looking forward to know more about that man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast