Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

My horse: Horses, carts, veterinarians and a few more things

Article about: Over the years I have collected photographs of German horses and soldiers. Especially from the tough Russian campaign. Some of them I have uploaded to the thread that I called "Jingle b

Default My horse: Horses, carts, veterinarians and a few more things

Over the years I have collected photographs of German horses and soldiers. Especially from the tough Russian campaign. Some of them I have uploaded to the thread that I called "Jingle bells", specifically those of sleds and panje horses in the snow.

The time has come to upload others: those of riding horses, draft horses and all kinds of carts and, finally, those related to the world of Wehrmacht veterinary services.

What we are going to share is not intended to be a work on units, number of horses, etc., etc. I am sure that in the forum there must be several very specialized threads on the subject. No, it´s about uploading the photographs of my collection in a certain order, which I hope you like.

As my son is isolated (he was positive for Covid19 on Christmas day, although he is fine) in the room where I normally write and my PC is. I can only upload things from wifey's PC, when she isn´t using it. So I'll be uploading things little by little, at least for a few days.

Horse in German is Pferd. The folder of those photos is called "Mein Pferd: My horse". Here I'll title it: My horse: Horses, carts, veterinarians and a few more things

tabstabs collection

I have always been struck by something that the soldiers in the photos have in common when they look at their horses: they look at them with love and pose for the photographer next to them with pride.

Regards
    Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 12-29-2021 at 06:30 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My horse: Horses, carts, veterinarians and a few more things
    P
    Many

?

Like this Santi, hope your Son is better. Great thread and glad you started it. Love horses.

From my Reichswehr Infantry Regiment Album

From a Hitler Youth Album:

One from a Gebirgsjager Album:

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Keep well Santi Mate! My sister has horses and know them a little. The feel of riding one bare back is something else (the feeling of such a beast in a nice way)

It has been recognized by historians for several decades that the German army, far from the propagandistic vision of an almost totally motorized force, was actually a largely hypomobile army.

The use of the horse in the Wehrmacht during World War II was inevitably conditioned by the limited capacity of German industry to manufacture motor vehicles, fuel and tires.

tabstabs collection

Horses were used mainly on the eastern front, which amounted to almost three-quarters of all the horses in the Wehrmacht. Its use was especially intense both in the two annual mud seasons and in winters, when the engines froze. Horses pulling carts, wagon convoys, and sleds were the means of connecting the rear and supply depots to the front.

At the beginning of the war, the German army had 573,000 horses. The requisition of horses in Poland, France, Belgium, Holland ... in addition to all the regions of the Reich, supplied the horse breeding military services throughout the war. The number of horses and draft animals used in the army reached 1,380,000 animals in 1943.

In total, around 2,750,000 horses served in the Wehrmacht.

It´s estimated that approximately 65% of the horses in the German army died during the war. The life expectancy of a horse was just under 4 years, while motor vehicles, on average, were rendered useless after just one year at the front.

Just before the start of the war, the number of horses in an infantry division ranged from 4,000 to 6,000.

?

Some more good ones:

?

I have photos in 1 album with many dead horses and some even being butchered. Tough stuff to see such beautiful creatures expired.

In the eastern campaign, the German divisions used up to 2,000 "Panje" Panjepferde (*) horses, with which to supplement their equine supplies. The "Panje" horses of not excessive bearing were very long-suffering and were specially adapted to the terrain and the harsh Russian climate, they turned out to be excellent light draft animals.

With the arrival of winters, the stress to which the horses were subjected was enormous, dragging sunken wagons up to the axles in the mud and without the possibility of being fed green fodder.

tabstabs collection
    This widespread use of horses by the German army led to the existence of a comprehensive veterinary system, in line with the Wehrmacht's own operational structure.

At the time of mobilization in 1939, each infantry division, mountain division, and cavalry brigade had a veterinary company.

Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 12-30-2021 at 04:42 PM.

By the way in the thread title I forgot the horseshoes and farriers. We will also talk about them

tabstabs collection
    Hufbeschlag meister

And of course there will be a section for foals...

I hope all horse lovers enjoy this thread.

See you soon.
    Regards
    Santi

And please feel free to upload any related images.

Just to say that although there are hundreds of images of dead horses, especially from the French campaign, I personally am not going to upload any. I totally agree with Kirk

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast