Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NEED HELP information on SS OFFICER

Article about: Hello, I need some help tracking down some photos and information. My grandfather had three brothers Werner, Henry and Helmut. According to my grandfather; Werner, his oldest brother, was a

Panzerguy
    ?

Exclamation NEED HELP information on SS OFFICER

Hello, I need some help tracking down some photos and information. My grandfather had three brothers Werner, Henry and Helmut. According to my grandfather; Werner, his oldest brother, was a huge "star" in Germany during the war. He was awarded the knights cross and other medals of valor. I searched the internet over and over again.. I have found some information but not much and NO photographs. My Opa's brother is Werner Wolff, he was a tank commander. Does anyone have information on where I could find photos and infomation on him?? Thanks John

2. # ADS

Default Re: NEED HELP information on SS OFFICER

Hi John, welcome to the forum!

If he was an SS Officer, he will be listed in the SS Officers Dienstalterliste. This is a book which was issued in various years throughout the 1930's and war years and gave this rank, promotion dates, awards, SS number, NSDAP membership number, etc, etc. This will give you basic info.

His service record, if he was an Officer, should be available in the NARA archives. I can put you in touch with a researcher there whom I can highly recommend. There should be a photo of him with the file, but the quality may be poor. Contact Mike here:

WESTMORELAND RESEARCH

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi

Found this on wikipedia-any family resembalance

Cheers
    Perce
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NEED HELP information on SS OFFICER  

?

Hi

And another
    Attached Images Attached Images NEED HELP information on SS OFFICER 

?

Place of birth Memel, East Prussia
    Place of death Hungery
    Allegiance Germany
    Service/branch , Waffen SS
    Years of service 1939–1945
    Rank Obersturmführer
    Unit 1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler
    Commands held 1st Panzer Company
    7th Panzer Company, 1st SS Panzer Regiment
    Battles/wars World War II
    Awards Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
    Iron Cross 1st Class
    Iron Cross 2nd Class
    Tank Destruction Badge in Silver
    Eastern Front Medal

Werner Wolff was a Obersturmführer, in the 1. SS Panzer Division 'Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler' of the Waffen SS, who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.

Wolff was awarded the Knight's Cross in August 1943 while serving as Joachim Peiper's Adjutant in the III.(gep.) Battalion of SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 2 after he took command of the leaderless 13th Kompanie, following the death of its commander, during the Battle of Kursk in July, and stopped a Russian tank attack. Wolff destroyed one tank single handed and refused to give ground to the Russian attack. [1]

Wolff was killed during Operation Spring Awakening, in Hungary on 19 March 1945. [2]

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Here is another foto of Werner Wollf. I guess it's the same as before - only clearer.
    Attached Images Attached Images NEED HELP information on SS OFFICER 

Panzerguy
    ?

Thank you so very much. I will show these photos to my father. It says in his stats that he died in Hungery. My grandfather's story his brother died in Berlin or bayern. I forget which, maybe he was confused on brothers.. But that was the story he told a long time ago. I have addresses where my grandfather wrote Werner letters. But I don't think the address exisit anymore. My opa and omas house in Garmish isnt there anymore. A passer by said a lot of homes and buildings were occupied by the US forces and were distroyed. He said at the time, a lot of building had murals to the 3rd reich and were destroyed. I love the area though.

?

John,

Werner Wolff was one of the most famous young officers of the LAH.

During the fighting at Kharkov in early 1943 he was an SS Untersturmfuhrer and platoon commander in 11(Gep) Kompanie III (Gep) SS Pz Gren Rgt 2 of the LAH , Jochem Peiper was the commander of the Btl with the rank of SS Sturmbannfuhrer.

At the end of June 1943 20 year old Werner became Peipers adjutant when SS Obersturmfuhrer Otto Dinse went on leave.

He one his fame and his Ritterkreuz during the Kursk Battles of july 1943.He destroyed a T 34 in close combat on 10/7/1943 and was awarded the RK for his combat actions and bravery at Prokorovka on 12/7/43.He received the award on 7/8/1943 in Austria whilst the LAH were on the move to Italy having been withdrawn from the Eastern Front after Kursk.

The LAH went back to Russia in November 1943 and Werner was wounded on 23/11/1943 just after Peiper left to command the LAH Panzer Regiment.

More info to follow

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

On returning from being wounded in April 1944 Werner Wolff joined Peiper again and was given command of 7 Kompanie SS Panzer Regiment 1 at Genk. He was 21 and was now an Obersturmfuhrer.

He commanded the Kompanie during the Battle of Normandy where he was wounded for the 5th time, he was recommended for the Honor Roll of the Army (Ehrensblattspange) for his defence of the village of Tilly.

He married Helga on 16/6/1944 at Knesselare in Belgium.

He returned to the Panzer Regiment to assume command of 1 Kompanie in Feb 1945 when he received his Ehrensblattspange.

He was seriously wounded in the head by shrapnel whilst in the Turret of his Panther near Inota, Hungary on 20/3/1945,he was evacuated back to Gotzendorf an der Leitha but died of his wounds at the base hospital there on 30/3/1945.

Regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Panzerguy
    ?

Paul. thank you for the information. Do you know where he is buried? Hungery or Germany? Any information would be helpful.

Danke fur alles..

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast