Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New After the Battle Publications August 2023.

Article about: Although After the Battle magazine ceased publication last year Pen & Sword are still producing new books, some of which I’m sure will be of interest. Please note that several are not

Default New After the Battle Publications August 2023.

Although After the Battle magazine ceased publication last year Pen & Sword are still producing new books, some of which I’m sure will be of interest. Please note that several are not actually published until August 2023 and so are classed as pre-order at the moment.

New After the Battle Publications August 2023.

They can be ordered from Pen & Sword directly and elsewhere once they are out in print.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New After the Battle Publications August 2023.
    P
    Many

But are they new as such or just a few of the published articles put together? For example, the description for the forthcoming Then & Now book on Nordhausen states:

The book contains the following two stories from ATB magazine:

Issue 101: Nordhausen

Author: Karel Margry. 18,165 words, 118 black and white photos.

Issue 111: The Gardelegen Massacre

Author: Karel Margry. Text: 16,189 words, 78 black and white photos.

The ATB magazines are classics, so interesting, I took the Normandy magazine with me on my first visit in 96, to recreate photos, I remember getting these in Foyles !
    Paul

I was interested in the Siegfried Line and Channel ports books. I guess some of the text has featured in previous magazine issues but I will still be ordering a couple when they come out.

Lightbulb

Watching the ATB situation with interest. Certainly the just-published 'Villers-Bocage' title which I recommended elsewhere on the forum is very good. Had a long conversation with a dealer at the Capel Show ; he reckoned that the much-loved ATB magazine back issues are being 'run out' to reduce stocks and also that there may well be no further issues. We'll see, but the advice is to grab'em while you can if your're thinking of doing some battlefield wandering......

Always loved the ATB magazines, really fantastic "Then & Now" stories about Normandy, Bulge and the battles in Germany.

I remember being in WH Smiths in Liverpool, many moons ago and finding this excellent magazine with a Panther on the front cover..

Rifling through it, there was a advertisement for the books "Panzers in Normany" and "Battle of the Bulge".

I couldn't wait to get to the Post Office and send a postal order off for both books!

A week later, both books arrived and loved both of them.

Very sad to see they've ceased publication, always looked forward to the next issue coming out.

I bought most of the other books as well, so a little part of my youth has disappeared now.

Very happy days reading the books and magazines, some great articles in them.

I've been to places in France, Belgium and Germany on the back of these magazines.

Can't believe it really, such a pity.
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 07-17-2023 at 11:36 AM.

Thumbs up

I'm with you there, TDB ! I found copy #1 ( with the Jeep on the cover ) in the Charing X Road in the mid-70s ( definitely pre-internet & Google days...) and thought 'Hey - I thought I was the only lunatic interested in this stuff ! ' ).

Those ATBs have taken me all over Europe in the decades since ; my copy of Pallud's 'Battle Of The Bulge Then & Now' especially is battered and worn after countless hikes inthe Ardennes.

Winston Ramsey was such a great enthusiast......you just HAD to go there !

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I'm with you there, TDB ! I found copy #1 ( with the Jeep on the cover ) in the Charing X Road in the mid-70s ( definitely pre-internet & Google days...) and thought 'Hey - I thought I was the only lunatic interested in this stuff ! ' ).

Those ATBs have taken me all over Europe in the decades since ; my copy of Pallud's 'Battle Of The Bulge Then & Now' especially is battered and worn after countless hikes inthe Ardennes.

Winston Ramsey was such a great enthusiast......you just HAD to go there !
    Went one better, leaving a very warn copy of Bulge Then & Now with one of our Belgian hosts back in the early 1990s. That copy had been along the former Rollbahnen of a certain battlegroup.

I remember talking to Winston Ramsay on the phone many, many years ago now, and he said the "Battle of the Bulge" book needed redoing as a lot of the sights had been changed through redevelopment and progress.

A lot of the comparison photo's also, have completely been changed as well.

Probably nothing remains visually from the original pictures.

Some locations have changed out of all recognition since the book was originally printed; Kaiserbaracke, Baugnez, come to mind. However the most iconic location, the Recht-Poteau road are still clear of development for now.

Sadly I can't see the book being updated nor bettered as being the comprehensive publication on the offensive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast