Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Prestige of the iron cross second class

Article about: I was wondering how prestigious the iron cross second class was during the 2. world war. I’ve read that it was only in somewhat high regard during the start of the war but I couldn’t fin

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I don't think that has anything to do with it, I think most German soldiers did not have a choice where they were sent.
    Ralph.
    My point exactly, so why would they deserve the award more than any other - soldiers in the Rzhev Campaign faced horrendous conditions but weren't all awarded the EK, nor were those in Demyansk or Cherkassy. It seems to have been done more for propaganda purposes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prestige of the iron cross second class
    P
    Many

It's recognition for having done one's duty under combat conditions...which tends to raise morale...

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    It's recognition for having done one's duty under combat conditions...which tends to raise morale...
    Which feeds in to how was prestige for the EK viewed when it was issued so widely as a propaganda and morale boost?

Default Littered with prestige

I remember seeing images of a German staff car with it's occupants as stiffs. The inside of the car was littered with the 2nd class cross. Then seen in this image, the Russians displaying the war booty with all the unawarded IC 2nd class, imagine being a participant, surviving the war on the German side then visiting Russia's war museum and seeing this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prestige of the iron cross second class  

Prestige of the iron cross second class

Always worried not to lose my ribbon at the front...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2