Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prestige of the iron cross second class

Article about: I was wondering how prestigious the iron cross second class was during the 2. world war. I’ve read that it was only in somewhat high regard during the start of the war but I couldn’t fin

?

Default Prestige of the iron cross second class

I was wondering how prestigious the iron cross second class was during the 2. world war. I’ve read that it was only in somewhat high regard during the start of the war but I couldn’t find much info on that. Was a soldier with the iron cross 2 class respected more by his comrades without it and how was the situation when he was on home leave?
    Was the iron cross second class a sign to the civilians that he did his duty? Or was it more like meh just another one of the millions that were awarded?
    I would like to know more about this topic.
    If anyone has more information I would be happy to know!

Greetings
    Anon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prestige of the iron cross second class
    P
    Many

Hi Anon.
    The EK2 was a prestigious item for its owner.
    In fact, KvK 2 class was considered to be something of a consolation prize for those who had not won the Iron Cross 2nd class. IMHO.

Regards
    Santi

?

I think the word prestige is defined by an individual. There is no doubt that in the early stages of the war the EK was held in high regard broadly in the services and at home.
    The prestige eroded over time when the medals were awarded more liberally as the war dragged on and awarded en masse in many situations and in the very late stages of the war, to children.
    Can you imagine being awarded your country's most respected award in 1940 for your bravery under fire, holding off enemy troops, saving your comrades, being involved in close combat only to see a few years later the same award being made to kids, purely for the propaganda value? There is no doubt that children acted with bravery but would another award have been more appropriate?
    The other issue is the proliferation of other awards as well. As collectors, this is good news because there is so much choice to collect but combat badges were awarded where an EK might have been more appropriate and vice versa. The introduction of the Kriegsverdienst series of awards also muddled things as well.
    I believe if the Germans had kept the EK series as it's most prestigious award, it's value to the individual would've remained high throughout the war but the way they were awarded, in their millions took away from the icon that was the Prussian Iron Cross.
    It's an interesting debate and I hope a few more members will chime in with their thoughts too.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Paris 1940

Russia 1941?

North Africa 1942

There is also the viewpoint of what prestige it held from other soldiers. The EK wasn't always awarded for bravery and in a lot of cases was a 'percentage' award in that a unit would be issued X-amount of EK's and was then left to issue them as they saw fit so in some cases would mean the Commanders favourites would get one for doing very little. In the memoir An Artilleryman in Stalingrad he mentions the nonsense of a radio operator in his unit behind the front line and in a relative position of safety being awarded an EK just because he was the link to the artillery forward observer who was in a far more forward and exposed position.

It would also be awarded for being injured, again taking away from the 'awarded for bravery' prestige. And some, possibly all, units involved inside the Stalingrad pocket were issued a decree that all men who fought in Stalingrad, wounded or not, after 20-Nov-1942 could be awarded the EK II which again takes away the prestige of an award that was meant to be awarded for bravery or leadership ability.

Good Topic...I'd contend that anyone surrounded in Stalingrad deserved his EK2...
    The Kvk/Kriegsverdienstkreuz was ridiculed as the "Kannstduvergessenkreuz" - The "Youcanforgetaboutitcross"...

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    Good Topic...I'd contend that anyone surrounded in Stalingrad deserved his EK2...
    The Kvk/Kriegsverdienstkreuz was ridiculed as the "Kannstduvergessenkreuz" - The "Youcanforgetaboutitcross"...
    I'd like to add that after the war, these awards -among many other things- were thrown in the garbage...Any vestige of Prestige being far overshadowed by the Catastrophe brought about by the Hakenkreuz...

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    Why? It's not as if they chose to be there and not every soldier in the pocket fought.

I seem to recall a similar discussion on another forum and from someone who had spoken to German veterans that the actual award itself didn't mean as much to them as the actual award citation.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Why? It's not as if they chose to be there
    I don't think that has anything to do with it, I think most German soldiers did not have a choice where they were sent.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast