Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reading Death Card

Article about: Can you guys help me read this death card? I think it is Karl Puhr and he died 10/12/44. On the back of the card I think it also says wife but can't read the name. Thanks as always, trying t

Default Reading Death Card

Reading Death CardReading Death Card

Can you guys help me read this death card? I think it is Karl Puhr and he died 10/12/44. On the back of the card I think it also says wife but can't read the name.

Thanks as always, trying to track down another lost soul!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reading Death Card
    P
    Many

Hi there.

You are right, his name is Karl Puhr. His wifes name looks like Berta Puhr.

Truppenteil - Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon 338

Erkennungsmarke - 1./Kp. N. E. A. 64 No 525 = 1./Kompanie Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung, dogtag number 525.

Cause of death looks like Gr. Spl. Verl. Rücken? = Granat Splitter ? Rucken? (Grenade Splinter ? Possibly to the back. Sorry I’m not familiar with the Verl abbreviation and I’m not 100% on the place of injury either.

Information from the Volksbund.

Surname:Puhr
    Forename:Karl
    Date of birth:04.06.1906
    Place of birth:Wien
    Date of death/becoming missing:10.12.1944
    Place of death/becoming missing: Bollweiler H.V.Pl.

Karl Puhr is buried in the military cemetery in Guebwiller (France).

Endgrablage: Block 1 Reihe 13 Grab 155

H.V.Pl = hauptverbandsplatz (Main first aid station).

Here is a pretty handy guide to decipher these. You will see several designs but the information is basically the same.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reading Death Card  

TWS
    ?

Quote by Willmore View Post

Cause of death looks like Gr. Spl. Verl. Rücken? = Granat Splitter ? Rucken? (Grenade Splinter ? Possibly to the back. Sorry I’m not familiar with the Verl abbreviation and I’m not 100% on the place of injury either.
    I think you did a masterful job on interpreting the card. I am no expert on these, but my guess is "Verl." stands for Verletzung - Injury.
    So, shell fragment injury to the back.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks guys, I was having problems with the abbreviations but as always you guys helped figure it out. Thanks again!

Is 1./Kompanie, Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung 64, translated into 1st Company, News Replacement Department 64? Never seen this before, thanks.

Quote by TWS View Post
    my guess is "Verl." stands for Verletzung - Injury.
    So, shell fragment injury to the back.
    Correct, it is from the verb verletzen - to injure and verletzung is the noun 'injury'

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nachrichten does translate as 'news' and is employed in the sense in journalism etc but I think in a military / security context it means 'intelligence' as in the modern Bundes Nachrichtendienst (BND) or Federal Intelligence Service which is the German equivalent of the British MI5 and US FBI (internal national matters rather than MI6 & CIA - external matters). During wartime and in the armed forces I think the interpretation should be military intelligence rather than 'news'

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-13-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks again, I am wondering if this is not Dr. Fridolin Karl Puhr's brother. Fridolin was born in 1913 and was from around Wien! Very interesting things you find!!

Quote by lonewolf523 View Post
    Is 1./Kompanie, Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung 64, translated into 1st Company, News Replacement Department 64? Never seen this before, thanks.
    IMHO a radioman (Signal Corps)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast